easy installation info for non-tech-savvy PC owner?

Sunkist

Reaction score
Credits
I don't think it's a coincidence that I never had any problems with either hacking or malfunctioning years ago when I had Linux on previous computers. Both issues only started when I obtained PCs with Windows.

Current PC has Windows 10. I agree with info I've read that problems I've been having for the last couple of months are probably due to Windows updates- not connecting to monitor, the system not starting up, etc.

Is there any easy, failproof way to replace Windows 10 with Linux? I don't have USB, disks, etc. And basically no tech knowledge at all.

Welcome to the forums,
deactivate windows quick-start and safe boot first, then read my how to install guide [link under]
some kit may have its own problems and need extra drivers, but we can talk you through that

I don't have USB, disks, etc.
You can install a limited number of Linux distributions using a network installer, but it can be a complicated task, if you have a USB port it is far easier to get a pendrive 4 to 16 gb is plenty or even borrow one you can re-format and use.

USB drives have gotten about as cheap as going out on a pint with your buddies. You don't need very much storage space for an installation media, many can even be burned to a dvd.

So you're not short on options there. As a guy who is layman, don't be stubborn and make things difficult for yourself and just throw down this chump change and buy one of said options.

As for linux itself, most beginner distros have gotten as easy to install as windows itself.

As for how to do everything, just ask the appropriate questions to the DuckDuckGo search engine and you're all set.

To brighten up your day, I offer you this video of Linux pros roasting windows 10 for 16 minutes straight. Enjoy!

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Linux isn't hard...you just need to take that first step.
m01101.gif
If it's any consolation...I can't use windwoes spyware 10 and wouldn't know where to start.
m0103.gif

A good place to start is with Virtualbox...download a Linux ISO and install it...or you can burn the ISO to a Flash Drive and play around with it too. Two very user friendly and easy to use Linux Distros are...Linux Mint and Linux Lite and of cause you have this friendly Forum to help with any problem you might have.
m0122.gif

All these suggestions……
Wrap your mind around this:
Buy a usb stick…..either 8 or 16 gb…doesn’t really matter which.
Read and digest @Brickwizard’s “how to” from his link up above. Read it slowly a couple of times
Download Linux Mint 21 ….there is a download link on this site
Use balena etcher to “burn” it to the usb stick….this Not a big deal….bake a etcher does the work, not you.
Boot your pc to that usb stick. Changing the boot order will be the hardest thing you do.
It will start your pc in Linux Mint. Have a play around just to get used to what it looks like
When you are comfortable, double click the “Install Linux Mint” on the desktop
Be sure to select Yes when it asks if you wish to install non free stuff and anything else.

You can probably do this in less time than it took me to type it out on my phone.

Please….ASK QUESTIONS…lots of them. We are only to willing to help…there is no such thing as a dumb question

G'day @Sunkist and welcome to linux.org.

You could also give us brand name and model of your PC and year built/purchased - specs, in other words, so as to better advise.

I am 8 days younger than you and thrive on Linux.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online