Elementary OS on Acer Spin 1

It's been a while since I've installed Elementary on anything. But, since the installer is very similar to the *buntus, there should have been a prompt in the lower half of the partitioning screen to request boot file placement. The typical default is something like "/dev/sda", but can be changed. It should be changed to the EFI partition (i.e., /dev/sda1). That is assuming the partitioning table was set to GPT and /dev/sda1 is the fat32 formatted partition identified as an ESP.

Hey jglen, thanks for the continued help. When it came to install, everything was automatic. So if anything is set as GPT or ESP or anything, the ESO installer did it.

We need to figure out what, if anything, was actually installed and where. You can get there by re-booting to your EOS Live CD, but instead of installing, use some of the tools in the LIVE CD while in Live mode.

Open a terminal and use some command line entries. But it must be done in Live mode, since you have no OS on the computer.

Ok, I usually install from within the live CD as I have to use the terminal to install via ubiquity -b.

Don't worry about ubiquity -b for now. Just boot to the Live mode GUI display and we will run two or three commands.

G'day all, I'm back and thanks @Djarin for the well-wishes :)

If Djarin is your name, that sounds Norge and it is midnight there, so sing out if you get tired and we can adjourn this.

I am happy to take 2nd lead to @jglen490 here, and perhaps just chip in with the odd idea so we don't confuse you.

Saturday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend

Wizard

BTW - GParted is on the live CD and a screenshot of the setup currently would assist. :)

Welcome back Wizard. Djarin is not my name, but am just outside of Oslo. So good guess either way. It is 1am currently and I'm off to bed. Goodnight all and thanks for the help.

Alright, I understand sleep, but mine doesn't come for a few more hours, being the central time zone of the U.S.
By the way, we'll be looking at
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
then
efibootmgr -v
and finally
lsblk -f
The fdisk will show the partition table for each disk (i.e, dos or gpt)
efibootmgr will show if there are any boot file contents in the efi (if it exists)
and lsblk -f will show filesystems and if there is some amount of content.

Here's the requested info. I saw when trying the efibootmgr -v command, it said it wasn't installed and I could install it. So I did. Not sure if I should have.

Attachments

• efi.png
    efi.png
    425.3 KB · Views: 506
  • fdisk.png
    fdisk.png
    497.9 KB · Views: 491
  • HD.png
    HD.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 495
  • lsblk.png
    lsblk.png
    401.7 KB · Views: 480
Not sure if I should have.

No, that's great :), it has allowed us to get the screenshots above, which will help. Thanks.

So I am 8 hours ahead of you, and @jglen490 is 7 hours behind you.

He is catching zzz's at the moment, and I am reluctant to interfere when it appears he has a plan in the making. I trust him which is why I "pinged" his userid in the first place.

I can certainly answer questions in between times when one of us is offline. We are all volunteers here, with mundane things to do like laundry, mowing the lawn, shopping for food etc, so if you can work with that, we will certainly try to do what we can to assist.

On that installed efibootmgr, being on a Live medium means your changes to the system, including that installation, will disappear when you reboot. Does the Acer have a USB stick port?

Wiz

BTW I will be between distros (I run 56 or so Linux on this rig)doing updates and Timeshift screenshots, but I will check in from each if you have questions/answers.

I "knock off" in about 2 hours, for cooking dinner and TV :)

Cheers

This is my portable machine, and not used daily so it's no rush to get it up and running. So no worries.

Yes, I'm installing EOS via a 32GB thumb drive via USB. As you can see on the "HD" picture, it appears that the EX4 partition contains the EOS installation. It installs successfully without grub, at least that what it says.

Just need the output from efibootmgr -v ...

Oh my apologies, thought I had uploaded. Sorry for the poor quality.
efi.jpg

And I don't see anything that would indicate a successful install. The fdisk output shows a 1.2 GB device, a 64GB MMC, and a 32GB bootable fat32 device. Gparted shws the MMC with an ESP (that's good) and a ext4 partition mounted as "target", definitely not sure what that is. And lsblk -f shows the MMC, plys /dev/sda1 which appears to be the EOS Live install CD/DVD.

So I think we need to go over the install process for EOS, step by step.

Apologize for being out for a while; a good friend of ours and my spousal unit had expectations for my day, this being a Saturday and all ;)

O.K., I see your efibootmgr -v output. Looks like it is seeing the efi info from the EOS Live install disc and the efi partition on the MMC, but that's all.

For an example, I would expect to see something like what's on my PC after a good install:
Code:
john@john-Desktop:~$ efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0004,0005
Boot0000* ubuntu        HD(1,GPT,e6c96d44-b5a1-4f30-83ac-3ad14eb783c7,0x800,0x2f000)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\SHIMX64.EFI)
Boot0004* Hard Drive    BBS(HD,,0x0)/VenHw(5ce8128b-2cec-40f0-8372-80640e3dc858,0200)..GO..NO..........W.D.C. . .W.D.S.5.0.0.G.2.B.0.A.-.0.0.S.M.5.0...................\.,[email protected].=.X..........A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.9.1.2.4.A.3.0.8.3.1.0.9. . . . . . . . ........BO..NO..........K.I.N.G.S.T.O.N. .S.A.4.0.0.S.3.7.1.2.0.G...................\.,[email protected].=.X..........A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.0.5.2.0.B.6.3.7.0.8.2.2.4.D.8.9. . . . ........BO
Boot0005* CD/DVD Drive  BBS(CDROM,,0x0)/VenHw(5ce8128b-2cec-40f0-8372-80640e3dc858,0300)..GO..NO..........A.S.U.S. . . . .D.R.W.-.2.4.B.1.S.T. . . .i...................\.,[email protected].=.X..........A...........................>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.A.E.0.D.L.C.0.0.5.5.5.6. . . . . . . . ........BO
john@john-Desktop:~$

Spousal unit? I'm heading that way myself. :p

If you look at my HD picture above, that is my eMMC HD that's soldered to the motherboard of this Acer. This is my bootable thumb drive (see attached picture)

IMG_20201004_033220.jpg

The thumbdrive is about the way I would expect it, with about a 1.5GB install image. I think ubuiqity -b is not a good approach for the install, and it might be better to use the EOS GUI installer from the Live session. If you are having display problems with the Live installer, you can make some adjustments to the boot parameters for the Live session - such as adding "nomodeset" to the end of the boot image. There's a place to do that right at the beginning of the Live session before you select the Live link on the screen.

The EOS install guide does not give much info about the step-by-step install process, but the Debian "children" do have a very particular process to follow to set up a successful install. The MOST important part of the process is setting up the partitions, which involves selecting buttons on the screen, starting with highlighting the disk, selecting the "change" button, and then interacting with the screens that are brought up from there.

One of the best guides I've seen is the Linux Mint Install Guide. It can be a little hard to find, and some of the exact button labels and screens may be a bit different, but it's close.

Members online