SiddhantKetkar

Reaction score
Credits
Ok so i followed all the advice from my previous 2 threads but this os is sucking the life out of me. Some of the code online doesn't seem to work and after i install elementary OS and i try to click on files in applications my pc just restarts. Can someone knowledgeable in this please give me all the codes i need to enter in the terminal (ones that are still valid and work) so that i can finally start using my pc normally again. I want the codes that can help me use all apps like i did on windows. And please explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old because i have no idea how even basic coding or programming works and I'm actually kinda regretting switching to linux (the infographics show on YouTube said it's super easy and anyone can use linux) so can someone give me some codes please. o_O

please explain it to me like I'm a 5 year old

I think, i'm not known for my diplomacy on here , due to some un-diagnosed disorder (like being born near Yorkshire) so that would probably not be a good idea.

this os is sucking the life out of me.

According to me wife i'm also not known for my perception, but if your getting frustrated that is the time to give it a rest for a while.

I will see if i can wrench my wifes laptop away , maybe over the weekend.

Can someone knowledgeable in this please give me all the codes

not easily since we need to drill down and define your problem.

The first thing i did was see if i could install anything . There is an app centre in the menu and you can browse it for instance i went to games. A got a list "free" and none free .

For instance i saw "Abe" i bit of clicking here and there got it installed.

You an also use the command line, but there will be some editing/checking of mirror and repo source; i can't remember so need to play with wifes laptop

So give me one objective of what you want ; install software and how to or navigate your way around the OS ?

I think, i'm not known for my diplomacy on here , due to some un-diagnosed disorder (like being born near Yorkshire) so that would probably not be a good idea.

According to me wife i'm also not known for my perception, but if your getting frustrated that is the time to give it a rest for a while.

I will see if i can wrench my wifes laptop away , maybe over the weekend.

not easily since we need to drill down and define your problem.

The first thing i did was see if i could install anything . There is an app centre in the menu and you can browse it for instance i went to games. A got a list "free" and none free .

For instance i saw "Abe" i bit of clicking here and there got it installed.

You an also use the command line, but there will be some editing/checking of mirror and repo source; i can't remember so need to play with wifes laptop

So give me one objective of what you want ; install software and how to or navigate your way around the OS ?
can i install windows apps like dropbox or skype from the default app manager in elementary os or do i need to do something special. [After hours of searching i found the right software codes and so now my software works fine. now the only thing that's left is windows apps, firewall, a good antivirus etc. so how do i do all that?]

Windows apps: these don't run natively in Linux. Two alternatives - find Linux apps that have the same functionality, or learn how to set up a virtual machine to run Windows within Linux.

A good firewall is ufw, and a GUI is available for it - gufw.

A good antivirus is, in my opinion, a waste of CPU cycles in a properly set up Linux and if there are no PEBKAC issues.

It would appear there is a tonne of help to install skype on Elementary OS.
Google is your friend...or duckduckgo, ...or whatever rocks your boat...

skype for El os.png

Alternatives to windows stuff....

@SiddhantKetkar picking up from where we where. I had access to wifes laptop this morning and had a play around. Because she has elementary OS (Hera) on it i have actually tried and tested to see if stuff on internet actually works. There is always a good chance of power off here so will save and re-edit as i go

First a quick mention of where software comes from and how to access it. Elementary OS is based on Ubuntu ,so some of the available software comes from ubuntu repository and can be accessed by the graphic App centre of by using the command line.

I found Elementary this morning more quirky than i remember , but its just a case of getting to know it. On OS like slackware there is a panel on bottom of screen showing something like Dolphin file manager. It took me a while to even navigate around to usb stick that i saved screen shots on. I had to left click on "Application" top left and then type in "files" to get something usable to show.

While i mention it if you have not yet given up, then you need effective communication on here since not many of us are psychic, psychotic maybe but not psychic . Thus the first thing you want is "screenshot" in order to help show us your problems.

To get a terminal up, go to Applications , top left and type in "terminal" you will see an icon , left click on it.

Then try:

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install screenshot

screenshots are saved images, screenshots directory

back to repos's

to see what repos are available and what sources can be added type:
Code:
sudo apt edit-sources

I got /etc/apt/sources.list up in text editor Nano see screen shot . I can't remember if i installed it last time or its there by defualt.

Try the command and see what comes out. if you have not used nano before the ^ actually represents Ctrl button, so to get of gui where it shows ^x you would hit Crtl key then letter x key.

If you wanted to enable more repo sources you remove the # in front of line and save , doing Ctrl key + O.

Because Elementary is based on Ubuntu there are addition sources of software. First one you might add is TimeShift.

this is how you will do that.

Open a terminal window. Left click Applications .top left if you have to and type terminal.

type each line one at a time:
Code:
sudo apt  install software-properties-common
// its suggested you run above first 

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install timeshift

i got that working and went as far as set up : see image for proof

read more here: https://www.fosslinux.com/353/how-to-backup-and-restore-system-files-in-elementary-os.htm

PPA stand for Personal Package Archive and is additional software you can get(if you trust the source)

Another i tried for tweaks was as follows:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:philip.scott/elementray-tweaks
sudo apt install elementary-tweaks

it installed fine but could find how to launch it.

Some basic commands

Code:
sudo apt update

//you run that to update list of repo, particularly if you added a repo source

sudo apt search <package name>
sudo apt install <package name>

eg Web browser on Elementary is EpiEhinay or some such to get fire fox:

sudo apt install firefox

//tested and it worked

You also have access to snap, for instance it was the only place i could find for skype
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install snapd

sudo snap install skype

thats the only one i did not try , not wanting to take up unessessary space
During session one window frooze on me- tip to get rid of it:

type into terminal window "xkill"

move mouse over window you want to get rid of and left click mouse

To save and get screenshots onto usb stick and then use back on slackware i had a problem doing drag and drop due to not being able to open two Windows at a time. I got round it by right click , open in new tab and then dragging tab ont oclear space on desktop.

you might need some codecs for video , i think they rae on ubuntu-restricted-extra.

All in all I found Elementary workable and i have hardly used it, so would recommend it.

Attachments

• ElementarySources.png
    ElementarySources.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 478
  • TimeShift.png
    TimeShift.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.