Encrypted disk not able to boot the system

latitude

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys. I've tried everything I can to solve this problem but since I am a total noob I couldn't do anything at all.
I've been using Linux Mint 19.3 for some time. Yesterday my wifi stopped working (the wifi network was visible but I couldn't connect). I used timeshift and then the system didn't boot. I managed to boot it using different kernel (recovery mode) and I recalled older timeshift entry and since then I am not able to boot the system. I encrypted the disk during the installation of the system (with home directory. When I select some of the older kernels during the "boot" I am able to see the green logo of Linux Mint (circle) and enter sda5 passphrase (password of the encrypted disk) and then I get kernel panic.

This is how it looks like:
20201012_064913.jpg

I want to access my files but even after I run Live CD, enter the password to decrypt the home folder I can't get access to the data.
I've tried boot-repair but with no effect.

Is there any chance I can get access to my files or to repair the boot (?) just to run the Linux Mint somehow?

I've read similar topics but I couldn't get any results/didn't know what I was doing.

XFCE Linux Mint 19.3 (64-bit)

So I am able to enter the password and access the file structure of the disk (now I run another Linux OS from the second disk but the result is the same when I run it from Live CD)

Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2020-10-13_09-44-48.png
Then I enter home -> name of my computer -> and see this

Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2020-10-13_09-46-09.png
README file says this:
THIS DIRECTORY HAS BEEN UNMOUNTED TO PROTECT YOUR DATA.

From the graphical desktop, click on:
"Access Your Private Data"

or

From the command line, run:
ecryptfs-mount-private

When I try to run "Access Your Private Data" the terminal pops up for a split of cecond, disappears and nothing happens.
Please tell me if you can: What am I doing wrong? What else can I do? Can I make it boot again somehow and then access the data?

Last edited by a moderator:

G'day @latitude and welcome to linux.org :)

I will be signing off shortly for my evening in Australia, but I will take a closer look at this tomorrow and see if I can come up with something, I know a bit about Timeshift, but I do not know a lot about encrypted home folders.

Cheers

Chris Turner

wizardfromoz

BTW don't suppose you could rotate that udrop piccie 90 degrees? Have to crick my neck to view it. ;)

G'day @latitude and welcome to linux.org :)

I will be signing off shortly for my evening in Australia, but I will take a closer look at this tomorrow and see if I can come up with something, I know a bit about Timeshift, but I do not know a lot about encrypted home folders.

Cheers

Chris Turner

wizardfromoz

BTW don't suppose you could rotate that udrop piccie 90 degrees? Have to crick my neck to view it. ;)

Hello Chris! Thank you for the answer. I've fixed the screenshot (ups, sorry).

All the tutorials I've found don't work for me because I get this:
$ sudo ecryptfs-mount-private
ERROR: Encrypted private directory is not setup properly

But I found this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Encry ... y#Long_way

"Next you need to find your keyring keys. This requires that you have your mount passphrase. You recorded when you setup the mount--this passphrase is different from your login passphrase."

Should I first recover my mount passphrase (I know the password to unlock the encrypted sda)?

When I try to do it i get this:
ecryptfs-unwrap-passphrase .ecryptfs/wrapped-passphrase
Passphrase:
Passphrase is too long. Use at most 64 characters long passphrase.

My passphrase is over 64 characters long indeed.

Two (probably with a lot of data) folders inside "snapshots" as seen on this screen are gone. Please don't ask me why because it makes me embarrased just when I think about it.
Przechwycenie obrazu ekranu_2020-10-14_14-03-24.png

And this is the screen after I try to decrypt the disk during the boot (I entered wrong password few times):
20201014_135932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand you can boot into another distribution to try and access to the encrypted partition which is sda5? Am I understanding that correctly from what you have described?

From the distribution you are able to boot could you try to do the following, open a terminal and:
Code:
sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda5 decrypt_home
It should then ask your for your passphrase, enter your passphrase. If that completes successfully you should then be able to mount your home drive:
Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/home
sudo mount /dev/mapper/decrypt_home /mnt/home

I would follow the advice of my friend @f33dm3bits above, he clearly knows more about encryption than I :)

A tip with the screenshots (looks Polish) - don't try to change them now, it's messy - is to choose full size image over thumbnails, makes it easier for us to read ... and DON'T say you're sorry :)

I'll be not far away in case I can assist.

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts