Encrypting with the private key and decrypting with the public key

Terminal Velocity

Reaction score
Credits
Why does encrypting the data with the private key to ensure the authenticity of the sender, and decrypting with the public key at the other end essentially make no sense? How is the data owner authenticated?

Because only the person with the private key can encrypt something that the public key can decrypt.

This assumes, of course, that no one has stolen the owner's private key. Anyone else trying to encrypt data with their own key would not create something that can be decrypted correctly. The keys are paired. They're created together and only work with each other.

Does that make sense?

That's why I voted it up earlier. It was the most clear/concise answer possible. If it'd been me trying to explain it (and I encrypt/sign a lot, though usually emails), I'd have needed four paragraphs and still ended up not mentioning something.

That's why I voted it up earlier. It was the most clear/concise answer possible. If it'd been me trying to explain it (and I encrypt/sign a lot, though usually emails), I'd have needed four paragraphs and still ended up not mentioning something.
Oh, thank you!

Members online