Encryption and External Disks

BluGnosis

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu Desktop and have just installed the latest distro (20.04.1). Amongst other things, I am exploring encryption of an external HDD for backups and so far I've been able to use the Disks Utility to put a LUKS password protected partition on one of my external drives.

It has worked well but I'm testing accessing it from a separate USB installation of Ubuntu in case of OS/HDD failure or loss at some point in the future. When I try to access the encrypted partition from the USB OS, I can mount it and authenticate but see that it is read only. I went back into my main installation and accessed the permissions section of the encrypted partitions properties and made sure all the main permissions here are 'Create and delete files'. I then tried to alter the 'Change permissions for enclosed files'. The Owner, and Group items have 'Read and Write' and 'Create and Delete files' permissions, but when I try to change the 'Others' item from 'Read only' and 'Access files', it just reverts back to read only even though I click the 'Change' button.

1. So my main objectives here are to be able to use an encrypted partition for backup, but then be able to access it from a different or other installation of Ubuntu in the event of Computer loss or failure.

2. Ideally, I'd like for the partition to be accessed from a Windows installation, but this is not a deal breaker.

Thanks.

Staff online