Error encountered while installing VirtualBox-6.1.14-140239-Win.exe

Wan Chi Shing John

Reaction score
Credits
I encountered “A JavaScript error occurred in the main process” while installing VirtualBox-6.1.14-140239-Win.exe in my Lenovo Yoga laptop.

Attachments

• Linux Virtual Box Installation Error.pdf
    659.3 KB · Views: 364

Why are you installing the Windows (.exe) version on Linux? You should be installing a .deb or an .rpm or something, preferably from your package manager.

Thanks KGIII, thanks Rob!

I am running windows and looking to virtualbox so that I can run Linux there.

I appreciate your advice!

Would you please advise where can I can the .rpm for download?
(If I am not wrong, .deb does not support Ubuntu, right?)

If you're using Windows as the host OS (the operating system you're using) then you do in fact need the Windows .exe.

However, this is a Linux site. We (probably) can't help you with installing VirtualBox on Windows. I haven't even seen Win 10 in person, I've never used 8, I didn't install 7, and the last I used was Vista. That was more than a decade ago.

We're Linux users here, more or less. You'll need Windows gurus to help you.

Assuming nobody here does, there's surely someone at superuser, which is here:

That's part of the StackExchange network and someone there will know about Windows. We're the wrong people to ask.

Try the site I mentioned - but be sure to read the help/info before asking. They like their questions focused and in a specific format. So, follow their guidelines and you'll get help there.

I can tell you how to install VirtualBox on Linux, but that won't help you. For instance, it could be as easy as:

Code:
sudo apt install virtualbox

Ain't got a clue how to do it on Windows. If the .exe doesn't work for you, I have no idea what to tell you.

Try the site I mentioned - but be sure to read the help/info before asking. They like their questions focused and in a specific format. So, follow their guidelines and you'll get help there.

I can tell you how to install VirtualBox on Linux, but that won't help you. For instance, it could be as easy as:

Code:
sudo apt install virtualbox

Ain't got a clue how to do it on Windows. If the .exe doesn't work for you, I have no idea what to tell you.

No quite, VBox(last time I checked) isn't in Ubuntu repos by default, you have to download the .deb from its site.

I encountered “A JavaScript error occurred in the main process” while installing VirtualBox-6.1.14-140239-Win.exe in my Lenovo Yoga laptop.

@Wan Chi Shing John I had a look at your PDF attached file and all I can see is an error on discord but nothing about VirtualBox there, however, go here https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=369abf40a887c879583691d6e59b56cc and ask for help there since they probably can offer a better, informed advice than us.

Hope this helps! :)

To get the windows installer go here - https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
and under this heading VirtualBox 6.1.16 platform packages
click on Windows host it is about 103MBs in size then grab the VirtualBox 6.1.16 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack

The package in Ubuntu Repos is version 6.1.10 and is a bit dated

Ah, I see... You're right.

It has been there for a while - but it didn't exist in the repos earlier. You used to have to find alternative ways to install it, such as from the .deb or finding a PPA.

I use it multiple times a day, every day. I often have three or four VMs running at the same time. I also pay for VMware Workstation Pro.

It has been there for a while - but it didn't exist in the repos earlier. You used to have to find alternative ways to install it, such as from the .deb or finding a PPA.

I use it multiple times a day, every day. I often have three or four VMs running at the same time. I also pay for VMware Workstation Pro.
Well, I don't use Ubuntu that much, though I do have a couple of VMs here along with some others running under qemu but... I've never tried to install VBox in any. I like running VMs but use mostly qemu, only have VBox for Windows since it doesn't do well in qemu.

I like the nice easy GUI management tools that VBox offers me. I'm comfortable in the terminal, but I appreciate a good GUI app for many things. Though, I suppose Gnome Boxes offers a QEMU front-end, I've not really used it often.

One of the funniest things online is when VMware announced they'd figured out how to virtualize hardware and the Slashdot comments from the announcements. They largely, and I mean a huge percentage of them, thoroughly panned the idea, saying how useless it was and that it'd never catch on. Once in a blue moon I'll go back and re-read those comments and chuckle. I love virtualization.

Once in a blue moon I'll go back and re-read those comments and chuckle. I love virtualization.
Actually, VMware, last time I used it and created a Windows 7 VM worked better than VBox, at least 3D support was better, in fact, I've been thinking on using it again since my current Win7 VM under VBox has been giving me some issues; lags and slow performance. And yeah, virtualization is great; I've learned so much stuff by running VMs.

I've learned so much stuff by running VMs.

That is exactly what I use it for. Well, I also use it for pre-production testing. I have some servers hosted for me, VPSes, and stuff like that. I test things internally before pushing it out to production - unless it's a trivial change. So, I recreate the servers locally and test.

I use it to test answers for various sites, as well. I use it to try new OSes, to learn the features of new versions, and all that jazz. I play with VMs like people play with video games.

Members online