Ethernet and Linux Mint

Granny Sue

Reaction score
Credits
I recently set up Linux on a Compaq computer PC. The PC does not have a Wi-Fi connector so I will have to purchase a dongle for it. That will not be until payday. Until then I'm trying to use 1 of 2 repeater / Bridge plug-in device. it plugs into the wall I mean not the computer. I'm trying to connect it with an ethernet cable and I have no idea of what I'm doing. I've tried several times, I've used several YouTube tutorials and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Is there anybody who would be so kind as to help me with this?

I am not sure what kind of device this is.
Does it have an ethernet port on it? You run a cable from your computer to it?
How does this device connect to the internet? Is this a cable modem/router from your ISP?

I have two devices that are similar, one is a Vonets.com brand and the other one is called minidiva. You plug them into an outlet and then it can be used as a repeater to increase your distance that you can reach with your Wi-Fi. What I'm trying to do is use it as a wired connection to my Compaq computer but I don't know how to configure it once I get it plugged in. It would be similar to setting up a wired internet connection with a regular router

I am not sure what kind of device this is.
Yes, with a specific device question, it will help greatly to tell us the brand and model number of what the device is so we can Google up some information on it.

Okay, Vonets and Minidiva... what are model numbers for each?

Here are some screenshots. I like those because I don’t have to try to type in on this incredibly small keyboard.

Attachments

• 7AAA02D5-9785-4648-82CB-4593C2C90774.jpeg
    7AAA02D5-9785-4648-82CB-4593C2C90774.jpeg
    949.2 KB · Views: 495
  • 310116A1-2B88-4563-B1D5-DC28A710D871.jpeg
    310116A1-2B88-4563-B1D5-DC28A710D871.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 521
  • 7056D367-F560-453C-A0D4-FDA6A7E4CDE5.jpeg
    7056D367-F560-453C-A0D4-FDA6A7E4CDE5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 517
@dos2unix or others may have experience with these things (bridges, access points, extenders, etc)... but I have very little. I'll Google around and see what I can learn though. They may or may not do what you want.

I know it’s a longshot. I’m just impatient and want to get on the Internet.

With Wifi bridges, .. ideally, you plug one end of the ethernet cable into the repeater, and the other end into your PC. However there are couple of things required to make this work.

1. Your ethernet port (NIC) usually needs to be set to DHCP.
(This is usually the default setting, so you shouldn't have to change it).
DHCP just means dynamic host configuration protocol. This automatically gives your computer an IP address. Usually your ISP cable/modem router is a DHCP server for this purpose.

2. You will need a Cable modem/router that is connected to the internet.
You can test this with your cell phone if you know two things. The SSID and the password.
The SSID is simply the broadcast name of the wifi connection.
NETGEAR5G, MOTOROLA1, BATCAVE55, XFINITY8932, or something like that.
The password will either be given to you by your ISP, or possibly on a sticker attached
to the bottom of your cable modem or router.
Most often they are 10 characters. SecrtPaswd or just a random string n37d9xhBB8.
Just try to connect to the wifi in your house with your cell phone first.

3. This is the hard part, the wifi repeater, has to be connected to the wifi network in your house.
"Most" (but not all) cable modems have "WPS" button them. Some wifi repeaters also have
a "WPS" button on them. If you press both of these within a few seconds of each other, they should
automatically connect. If your repeater doesn't have a WPS button, that usually means you have
to login to the repeater and manually connect to your wifi network.

Thank you for your quick reply, I have been busy with my Homemaker here. I will have to deal with this in a little while as I need to lay down for a bit now. I appreciate your help and I will be working on this later this afternoon or this evening.

@Granny Sue That makes two of us. As at the moment I have to rely on win7 :eek: on a HD that is about to collapse and die. Mayhap tomorrow for me.o_O

I'm not at all familiar with these little "repeaters" that you have, but they seem to be similar to each other. Information found with Google is pretty vague, or some unclear Chinese instructions. Have you ever had either of these working? Or are they currently working?

If you've never had them working before, or not working now... some info I found hints that you may have a WPS button on one of them, the WS-WN523N2 model. You could try the WPS connection as @dos2unix described, and that might bring it to life.

Or you can try to enable one of them manually. The Vonets model shows in your screenshot a web address. If you plug the device into a power outlet, and plug your Linux computer into the LAN port with an ethernet cable.... open up Firefox and type in the URL, http://vonets.cfg and hit Enter. It should open up a configuration screen on the repeater. If that fails, you can try the URL, http://192.168.254.254, and hit Enter. Either of these should work, with any luck. If prompted, username is admin, and password is admin, unless you have changed them previously. You should change them now... someone nearby might easily break into your home network through this device with those standard passwords.

Inside the configuration it may get confusing with so little clear info available. You want to scan for your WiFi network.... if you see it, click on it and provide the password to your home router. If you can get this connection established, either manually or with WPS, you may be able to access the internet with the LAN port connected to your Linux computer. You may need to reboot the Linux computer after setting up the repeater. Linux will (almost) always connect to ethernet connections without any effort.... it just works. If you carry the Linux computer to be close to the router and connect it directly with an ethernet cable, you would see this, but I'm unsure about the repeater devices.

The repeater devices may have 3 "modes" available, and I'm again unsure which would be best. @dos2unix might advise better about that. The modes are "repeater, access point, and router." To me, router mode seems like the last thing to try, as a router would need a different subnet, I think. Sorry, I'm babbling now. :eek:o_O:D

You may have your new WiFi dongle by the time you get one of these working! :oops::rolleyes:

I'm not at all familiar with these little "repeaters" that you have, but they seem to be similar to each other. Information found with Google is pretty vague, or some unclear Chinese instructions. Have you ever had either of these working? Or are they currently working?

If you've never had them working before, or not working now... some info I found hints that you may have a WPS button on one of them, the WS-WN523N2 model. You could try the WPS connection as @dos2unix described, and that might bring it to life.

Or you can try to enable one of them manually. The Vonets model shows in your screenshot a web address. If you plug the device into a power outlet, and plug your Linux computer into the LAN port with an ethernet cable.... open up Firefox and type in the URL, http://vonets.cfg and hit Enter. It should open up a configuration screen on the repeater. If that fails, you can try the URL, http://192.168.254.254, and hit Enter. Either of these should work, with any luck. If prompted, username is admin, and password is admin, unless you have changed them previously. You should change them now... someone nearby might easily break into your home network through this device with those standard passwords.

Inside the configuration it may get confusing with so little clear info available. You want to scan for your WiFi network.... if you see it, click on it and provide the password to your home router. If you can get this connection established, either manually or with WPS, you may be able to access the internet with the LAN port connected to your Linux computer. You may need to reboot the Linux computer after setting up the repeater. Linux will (almost) always connect to ethernet connections without any effort.... it just works. If you carry the Linux computer to be close to the router and connect it directly with an ethernet cable, you would see this, but I'm unsure about the repeater devices.

The repeater devices may have 3 "modes" available, and I'm again unsure which would be best. @dos2unix might advise better about that. The modes are "repeater, access point, and router." To me, router mode seems like the last thing to try, as a router would need a different subnet, I think. Sorry, I'm babbling now. :eek:o_O:D

You may have your new WiFi dongle by the time you get one of these working! :oops::rolleyes:
That is some great information. Thank you. I have company coming tonight so I may not get to work on it till tomorrow.

I think I’m going to open another thread because I have a question about my hard drive memory.

Members online

Latest posts