Ethernet card not found and lshw doesn't show network section

charlie12

Reaction score
Credits
All in a sudden the LAN connection disappeared from my linux mint in last 2 days. But before that I used to browse smoothly, now the "pppoeconf" command doesn't show Ethernet card, and the "lshw" also doesn't show the network section. Please help if anyone knows about it.

Hmm... Had you made any changes to the system before this happened?

My first debugging step would be to try a live version of Mint to see if it works in the live environment.

How curious... I wonder if the hardware just died? If it did work and now it doesn't, including not working in a live environment, it may well have died.

I don't suppose you have a way to see if wireless works?

Checking the cable won't really help, as the hardware isn't being seen by the OS.

How curious... I wonder if the hardware just died? If it did work and now it doesn't, including not working in a live environment, it may well have died.

I don't suppose you have a way to see if wireless works?

Checking the cable won't really help, as the hardware isn't being seen by the OS.
I don't know what to do, what do you think, change the hardware?

Well, it doesn't work in a live environment (and pretty much all ethernet adapters do) and it has completely disappeared from your LSHW output.

That looks like failed hardware to me. A new ethernet card is cheap and worth trying.

I keep a USB to RJ45 connector on hand, just for these times.

Oh I understood..... But I check the cable in another way, it appeared to be good....so maybe the problem is in the hardware...

It certainly sounds like hardware. The RJ45 is the thing on the end of your ethernet cable, the part that plugs into your computer.

Yeah, I'd definitely try new hardware given the symptoms you've shared. Ethernet adapters don't die often, but it does happen.

Ethernet adapters don't die often, but it does happen.
I agree, and I think I'd do a bit more troubleshooting before buying new hardware. "lshw" by itself gives a lot of output, and I'm a bit skeptical that Charlie used this command correctly since he didn't say how he used it or what the exact output was from it. So, Charlie, let's get more specific:

To find out about the whole system, including network, show us the output from:
Code:
inxi -Fxz

And also try lshw this way:
Code:
sudo lshw -class network

Please copy from your terminal and paste the output from each of these commands inside CODE TAGS in your reply. You can find the CODE TAGS in the "three dots" icon (to the right of the smiley face) along the top of the reply window. Putting the output inside these tags makes it much more readable for the helpers here. Thanks.

Result of inxi -Fxz
nahin@nahin-mint-12:~$ inxi -Fxz

System:

Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86 64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal Machine:

Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: N/A v: N/A serial: <filter> Mobo: Gigabyte model: H61M-S2PV v: x.x serial: <filter>

UEFI: American Megatrends v: FH date: 02/25/2013 CPU:

Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium G620 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 3072 KiB flags: Im nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4 1 sse4 2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 10376

Speed: 1596 MHz min/max: 1600/2600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1626 2: 1601

Graphics: Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics vendor: Gigabyte driver: 1915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev, vesa resolution 1440x900-60Hz

OpenGL: rendere Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 2000 (SNB GT1) v: 3.3 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes

Audio:

Device-1: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intet kernel bus ID: 00:16.0 Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-74-generic

Network:

prives:

Local Storage: total: 465.76 618 used: 18.27 GiB (3.9%) ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate modal: ST3500312CS size: 465.76 GiB

Partition:

ID-1: / size: 456.96 GIB used: 18.27 618 (4.6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2

Sensors:

System Temperatures: cpu) 37.8 C mobo: N/A

Fan Speeds (RPH): N/A Info: Processes: 166 Uptime: 2m Memory: 1.77 61B used: 577.4 H18 (31,9%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gec: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17

inxi: 3.0.38 ahingnahin-mint-12:-$|

The result of "sudo lshw -class network"

nahin@nahin-mint-12:~$ sudo lshw -class network
nahin@nahin-mint-12:~$

Nothing really appears, just for a sec, words such, "PCI sysfs "
"USB"
"SCSI"
then again the cursor at command line

That would have looked much neater inside CODE TAGS, like I asked, but never mind. You have proven for sure that your ethernet is not being detected. Thanks for trying my suggestions.

If your ethernet is built-in on the motherboard, there is nothing to do except buy a new card to fit in an open slot, if you have one. Or as @KGIII suggested, you can buy a USB-to-Ethernet converter cable that will work also. Both are not very expensive. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions.
By the way, Do you have facebook/messenger id, or what's app?

No, not me. We try to keep all of our support public in the forum. Having a "community" lets others jump in to offer suggestions and help, and also other people who come here later with similar problems can find our discussions and maybe benefit from the discussions too. Private conversations only help one person, and has no benefit to the community.

Yeah, your guess is absolutely correct, frequent thunderstorms caused multiple times of electricity-out, and previously it also had initramfs error, which I had fixed, then recently the LAN got disappeared.

Yeah you're right, but
I don't really care about the audio, perhaps I didn't notice it was there or not. XD

Members online