Ethernet failure

kenJackson

Reaction score
Credits
Monday evening I suddenly couldn't access my upstairs PC from downstairs. This seems to happen every month or so. So I ran upstairs and unplugged the ethernet cable and plugged it back in. That's what I do to fix it. I haven't been able to figure out what's happening or why, but I isolated the problem to my PC, not the switch it's connected to.

But this time unplugging and plugging didn't work. Oh no. Now what? Restarting the network and even rebooting had no effect this time. Oddly, all my network queries said the network was working fine. I just couldn't ping or transfer anything. I decided the hardware flakiness must have become permanent.

Fortunately, I found a good, inexpensive NIC on Amazon, and they shipped it to me in a day and a half.

Joy! That solved it.

Though I don't understand why every network interface has to have a different nomenclature. The onboard port was /dev/em1 (on my Intel DX58SO motherboard), but the new port came up as /dev/enp4s0, so I had to edit and rename files to restore my static IP of choice. I liked it a lot better when every ethernet port was /dev/eth0, eth1, etc.

I went a day essentially without email. Life is surprisingly inconvenient without network connectivity on your main server. :)

I liked it a lot better when every ethernet port was /dev/eth0, eth1, etc.

Ditto :)

At least you get your exercise running up and down stairs (10,000 steps a day, they say to aim for) ;)

Glad to hear it's solved and thanks for sharing

Wiz

Staff online

Members online