Ever dreamed of a 30TB hard drive?

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Well, even if you haven't, they're in the pipeline and already being used at some cloud providers.

Man... I was the Cock Of The Block with a 40 MB HDD (and, man, wasn't it expensive).

I recall my first 20MB drive; and expected I'd never fill it (assuming I was somewhat careful of course, after all it cost roughly as some of the second hand bikes/cars I was looking at back then).

Yes I do but those must be quite expensive!

Yeah, my entire steam library in conjuction with my VR media library is about roughly that size...

However in this day and age, with the internet speeds we are capable of achieving and the ease of accessibility to the desired content, there is simply no purpose behind such large storage capacities other than vanity. The only reason for one to be in possession of such a vast storage capacity is if you are generating the content yourself.

When I was in my teen years, fresh out of school, I used to have 1TB external hard drive for which I paid through the nose. I actually filled it up with movies and other content (actually mostly legitimate downloads believe it or not), and I had to, since streaming was practically non-existent and even downloading was unreliable- a spike of packet loss would terminate the connection and force you to begin the download all over again.

Ironically, piracy was a more reliable means of obtaining the content over downloading it legitimately via browser or browser extension, since you could leave it overnight and be sure it was finished the next morning over the notion of dying inside when you wake up and realize that the download has "failed" at 80% and that you'd have to restart it.

So yeah, back then you practically sold your liver for a big, juicy hard drive, so that you'd never had to go through that process again.

It is easy enough to fill a 30 Tbyte hard drive, especially if you do it over a period of time, but wait until you need to make a backup.

-> How much time would it take to clone one 30 Tbyte drive to another 30 Tbyte drive on your computer?

For the time being, I'm pretty sure these will mostly appeal to business cases where storage density is a priority metric.

For the time being, I'm pretty sure these will mostly appeal to business cases where storage density is a priority metric.
If it can be proven that it provides reliable, long lasting storage.

30TB.. Bloody hell, I can remember wishing I had a single 30mb hard-drive instead of the two[ 1x 10mb +1 x 20mb] my 286 had

I mainly use 'old' computers, & most of them only have a 16GB internal disk, these do 'the daily tasks', mainly forums & internet browsing, whilst my media sits on 256GB disks, & even they have plenty of space left over! :D

I've also had 500GB disks for several years, & the only use I have for them is for backups. ;)

30TB?????? Bloody Nora! That would be about 15 times the space I don't need :p

I use a 1TB Seagate drive (which is about 7 tears old now?) and is actually filed with movies, pic and a few back-ups and also attached is a 2TB Seagate drive I bought about 3 years ago "in case I might need it since the other filled up already".

So yeah, in about 14 years I might look into the 30TB thingy. :D

Agreed, and it will inevitably take the financial assistance of investors to do it.
Good article!

It wont be long until hard drives are measured in Petabytes and RAM measured in Terabytes.
Mm.....eventually, yes (but not just yet).

DDR5 will allow up to around 128 GB RAM, with certain mobo/chipset combos. With the pace of advances & size increases, I would guess the ability to install and use a terabyte of RAM will probably be with us at around the DDR8 or 9 refreshes.

Petabyte hard-drives (more likely Nvme SSDs) will, I think, be a little further away just yet. Certainly for consumers, at any rate.

My own Puppy-only system runs 32 GB DDR4, and 5TB + of storage. Even with all the stuff I've developed/built for Puppy over the years, plus a ton of music & videos (and Puppy backups), I've still got more than enough space to last me for a LONG time yet.

Mike. :D

Last edited:
Agreed, and it will inevitably take the financial assistance of investors to do it.
Good article!

Yeah, it'll be a while before they're something you or I will purchase.

It wont be long until hard drives are measured in Petabytes and RAM measured in Terabytes.

Already been there for a while. You can buy this system with 4TB RAM.

This can hold up to 4PB

Last edited:
Yeah, it'll be a while before they're something you or I will purchase.
Indubitably:-
I can see where this would be a great investment for large corporations. In time that kind of storage would be a big pay off IMO.

By the time this 30 TB device is developed security protocols for servers will most likely be implemented and amped up as well.
I 'would not' want to be the administrator in control of that much storage across multiple servers.

Last edited:
Already been there for a while.

Yeah, okay.......but that's hardly home-user territory yet, now is it? Until it does become so, this stuff is strictly enterprise territory, and you know it as well as I do...

(shrug)

Mike. :p

Yeah, okay.......but that's hardly home-user territory yet, now is it? Until it does become so, this stuff is strictly enterprise territory, and you know it as well as I do.

Mike. :p
Work place enterprise territory indeed!
Men that have great capital and are willing to make these kinds of investments will dabble in this kind of tech.

I don't see any regular home user needing this kind of storage unless they work from home under a large corporation that they are employed by.

Staff online

Members online