External HDD for BOTH Windows and Linux

Hello,
Can you advice me how to choose a External HDD for these two (windows and Linux)?
It isn't clear on Amazon: it only says "for PC"; "for Mac"; "for Windows"; "for PS4"...Just as if Linux didn't exist!

I need to transfer files from windows to linux and to windows from linux: Which HDD would you choose (2 To) ?

Thank you
That would depend on how you want to transfer your files i.e. thumb-drive, SSH, FTP - any hard drive is pretty much compatible to Linux - I have several - Toshiba, Western Digital, Fujitsu, Seagate and a couple of others that I can't remember at the moment - It is the formatting that makes the difference I have a exteranl drive set up to use with Windows/Linux it is formatted to exfat - exfat can be read by Linux Windows or Mac - on Linux you just have to install exfat-fuse and exfat-utils

hello again,which browser for mageia-distribution is useful?
excuse me,but i want to kow how install software like internetexplorers and openoffice
thanks

hello again,which browser for mageia-distribution is useful?
excuse me,but i want to kow how install software like internetexplorers and openoffice
thanks
Have a look here for Firefox-ESR - RPMs are available

Mageia use to have SeaMonkey but that has not been ported to Python3 yet - the problem I have with Mageia that their releases are supported for only 18 months. Otherwise it is a good OS

Last edited by a moderator:
That would depend on how you want to transfer your files i.e. thumb-drive, SSH, FTP - any hard drive is pretty much compatible to Linux - I have several - Toshiba, Western Digital, Fujitsu, Seagate and a couple of others that I can't remember at the moment - It is the formatting that makes the difference I have a exteranl drive set up to use with Windows/Linux it is formatted to exfat - exfat can be read by Linux Windows or Mac - on Linux you just have to install exfat-fuse and exfat-utils

Regarding to the disappointing reviews for about ALL brands of external HDD, I decided to use an internal hard drive and to connect it with a USB adaptater (still to Linux and windows).
Willi it be ok ?

Because no internal hard drive has ever failed me for now: only O.S...

Drive failures do happen it does not matter the make or model - The main difference between an internal hard drive and an external hard drive is location. Basically they are the same. The small portable drives are nothing more then a standard laptop drive enclosed in a case. You can buy just the external case a pop your own drive into it and now you have an external drive for about 10$ US. Generally portable will fail because they usually get banged around more than an internal drive such as dropping it or just getting kicked around inside your computer bag when traveling. Have a look here - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thank you, you seem to know very much.

It is still crazy to see how many problems there are even with internal hard drive (Amazon reviews). I might as well take x20 64GB Usb keys because I never had any problem with a mere Usb key.

You suggest that a case protection on any drive will make it last longer ? What is the most trustworthy option among all for high-capacity external stockage for windows and linux as well ?

Thank you, you seem to know very much.

It is still crazy to see how many problems there are even with internal hard drive (Amazon reviews). I might as well take x20 64GB Usb keys because I never had any problem with a mere Usb key.

You suggest that a case protection on any drive will make it last longer ? What is the most trustworthy option among all for high-capacity external stockage for windows and linux as well ?
No the case will not make a drive last longer - it is made just to make it portable like a premade external drive - my general rule of thumb is this - if man makes it eventually it will break the question is when not if. I have both SSD and HDD drives - to me the SSD are better no moving parts like a HDD, therefore less things to go wrong, like vibrations or thermal issues that cause damage to the spindle - not to mention SSD is faster

Last edited by a moderator:
as I said the other day ""at the end of the day It's your choice and that will depend on the capacity,speed, connections and budget .""

Members online