Extracting Pics from a crashed iPhone X in recovery mode?

CluelessinOC

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. Newbie here and completely technologically oblivious. Hoping someone here can help me as this is my last ditch effort. Sorry in advance if long post.

Screen is set at Apple logo and then the iTunes recovery mode. Apple support on phone said it’s probably a corrupt hard drive structure but someone that knows Linux might be able to know how to get the photos off the phone prior to factory reset. Apparently the drive structure may be corrupted and I’m not able to access the iPhone data through file manager.
Microsoft employee said they can’t see the data on the phone since it’s in recovery mode but maybe a 3rd party can. Apple Genius Bar said it’s more likely a software issue, not a hardware issue, and my phone (at the time it crashed) was full with no space left so it’s unable to do the update on the phone so that I don’t lose the data from it. Thus, their only solution is to restore to factory. Before doing this, I’m hoping someone has some advice or is able to refer me to either a reputable recovery tool or someone who might be able to help me extract the pictures on the phone prior to me resetting to factory. TIA for ANY help :)

Now that's an interesting one!

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day @CluelessinOC and welcome to linux.org :)

1. Do you have access to a Windows or Mac computer on which you can download a LInux .iso file, size perhaps 2GB?
2. Do you have a USB stick handy, minimum 4 GB, 16 might be better?
3. Do you have a broad idea, in GB, of how many pictures consume how much space on the phone, or what is its capacity (since you are full)?
4. Do you have a USB lead to connect the phone to the computer?

and I’m not able to access the iPhone data through file manager.

Is that a file manager on Windows, if so, which version (7, 8, or 10)?

Cheers

Chris TUrner
wizardfromoz

Now that's an interesting one!

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day @CluelessinOC and welcome to linux.org :)

1. Do you have access to a Windows or Mac computer on which you can download a LInux .iso file, size perhaps 2GB?
2. Do you have a USB stick handy, minimum 4 GB, 16 might be better?
3. Do you have a broad idea, in GB, of how many pictures consume how much space on the phone, or what is its capacity (since you are full)?
4. Do you have a USB lead to connect the phone to the computer?

Is that a file manager on Windows, if so, which version (7, 8, or 10)?

Cheers

Chris TUrner
wizardfromoz

Hi Chris.

Thank you for the response. Yes, I have an old HP Pavillion dv7 Notebook PC running Windows 10. The last I checked, it has 55GB of free space so I can install that Linux.iso (but I'll need to be taught how ). I believe I have USB sticks. Just need to figure out how much space. May need to order or go buy one with tons of space though. I have a 256GB phone and maybe the majority of it are pictures and videos. However, I really would only like the ones from Nov to now so I'm not sure what that would be in terms of GB. I'm not sure what you mean as "USB lead to computer". I do have 4 USB ports in the computer and the Apple cord to connect the phone to computer. If that's what you mean?

Thanks again so much for trying to help me!

Oh...and he had me connect the phone to the computer and see if it read as an external device and it didn't. So he said that maybe a Linux expert may be able to help me do this rather than using a recovery tool ;)

I do have 4 USB ports in the computer and the Apple cord to connect the phone to computer. If that's what you mean?

Yes, good. And Linux will likely be able to read it.

I have a 256GB phone

Wow :D

For your benefit, and the benefit of other, potential helpers, what I am thinking is this

WIZARD'S ROUGH PLAN

1. Download a LInux .iso (LInux Mint Cinnamon or MATE would be easiest) from here https://linuxmint.com/download.php
  2. Burn it to a stick using Rufus, Unetbootin, or Etcher
  3. Prepare, on the OP's Windows 10, a space sufficient to house the recovered data (this may involve some housekeeping, if there is only 55GB left, and the target data is larger)
  4. Boot the PC from the stick (this may involve going into his "BIOS" and telling it, in boot sequence, to recognise USB stick ahead of the HDD)
  5. Once into the Live USB environment, do not launch the Installer but rather use the Live environment for the exercise.
  6. Go to Menu, and Control Centre for MATE, or Settings for Cinnamon, and disable screensaver and modify Power Settings, to "never" if it is available, so the screen won't go to blank or screensaver
  7. Plug in the iPhone, it should be recognised as a Device.
  8. Go to Menu, type in file , File Browser (Caja for MATE, Nemo for Cinnamon) can be launched
  9. In File Manager/Browser, go to View - Extra Pane, and the window will split into two
  10. In each pane, establish the iPhone in one and the target space in the other
  11. Drag and drop chunks of data accordingly
Now, there may be a far simpler solution that someone will have, and you could entertain their input. I have to leave for my Australian evening soon, so

Good luck, and I will check in tomorrow.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Yes, good. And Linux will likely be able to read it.

Yay! So hoping!

Wow :D

LOL - I refrained from telling you the insane amount of pics and videos I had Let's just say I have a lot of deleting to do! Hehe.

For your benefit, and the benefit of other, potential helpers, what I am thinking is this

WIZARD'S ROUGH PLAN

1. Download a LInux .iso (LInux Mint Cinnamon or MATE would be easiest) from here https://linuxmint.com/download.php
  2. Burn it to a stick using Rufus, Unetbootin, or Etcher
  3. Prepare, on the OP's Windows 10, a space sufficient to house the recovered data (this may involve some housekeeping, if there is only 55GB left, and the target data is larger)
  4. Boot the PC from the stick (this may involve going into his "BIOS" and telling it, in boot sequence, to recognise USB stick ahead of the HDD)
  5. Once into the Live USB environment, do not launch the Installer but rather use the Live environment for the exercise.
  6. Go to Menu, and Control Centre for MATE, or Settings for Cinnamon, and disable screensaver and modify Power Settings, to "never" if it is available, so the screen won't go to blank or screensaver
  7. Plug in the iPhone, it should be recognised as a Device.
  8. Go to Menu, type in file , File Browser (Caja for MATE, Nemo for Cinnamon) can be launched
  9. In File Manager/Browser, go to View - Extra Pane, and the window will split into two
  10. In each pane, establish the iPhone in one and the target space in the other
  11. Drag and drop chunks of data accordingly
Now, there may be a far simpler solution that someone will have, and you could entertain their input. I have to leave for my Australian evening soon, so

Good luck, and I will check in tomorrow.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

OMG! This is a lot of info way over my head but I will attempt to do it all tomorrow I so appreciate you Wizard for taking the time to spell it out for me and anyone else who may come across this in the future!

I will try to make more space on the computer using an external hard drive. Or can I use the external hard drive for #3 step?

Have a fun and exciting time during your "Australian evening" Thanks again so much!!!!!

What capacity does the external hard drive have ?

Another question: should I attempt to use recovery tools like RecBoot or ReiBoot which claim they're free to get phone out of recovery mode and then do the steps you mentioned Wizard? Or there's something called UltData from TenorShare that's asking for $ to exit recovery mode and retrieve lost files?
Sorry, I'm just so clueless and have been googling different ways to access phone data in recovery mode so asking you "experts" before I do anything else :) My friend can't help with with trying Wizard's steps until later this afternoon.
Thanks so much!!!!

Thanks for being so kind to bear with me And especially for not judging and just literally being so generous with your experience and knowledge!

Sorry...one more thing. So in Dec, my phone crashed and I lost a month of pictures from a trip visiting our aunt with brain cancer. I was stupid and didn't know to look for this board or research anything else and accidentally restored to factory on my iPhone through iTunes. With what Wizard told me to do, is there any way to recover those pictures too? Would it be somewhere on my PC laptop since that's what I used to restore the phone to factory settings? I didn't back up my phone after that restore in hopes to get those pics and now I'm dealing with the same problem. They weren't in my iCloud either bc that was full too. Are any of the 3rd party software programs worth trying?
I'm thinking to go Android after all this
Thank you!

Bump.

Hello @CluelessinOC - not sure if you are still with us, but see that we failed to continue with your problem :oops:

Did you have any joy recovering your data?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Two things - no - three -
1.) If the Linux route works - GREAT! Go no further.
2.) Depending on how 'valuable' the data (pics) is then you may want to consider using an outfit such as iPad Rehab. They seem to be very reputable and do good work. Not that expensive either.

3.) Consider a good backup strategy before there is a "next time". Jus' sayin'

Good day all,

I am having the issue with my iPhone X, trying to update it to the latest iOS version 14.0.1 but unfortunately it got suck on Apple logo with iTunes, error code # 14 popped up due low storage space on my iPhone.

Therefore, is it still possible for me to run my iPhone while it is still stuck in the Recovery Mode on Linus Operating system and delete some large files i.e. video and apps?

Note: I have a Linux installed on my PC Windows 10 via VM Oracle.

Two things - no - three -
1.) If the Linux route works - GREAT! Go no further.
2.) Depending on how 'valuable' the data (pics) is then you may want to consider using an outfit such as iPad Rehab. They seem to be very reputable and do good work. Not that expensive either.

3.) Consider a good backup strategy before there is a "next time". Jus' sayin'

I have just checked the iPad Rehab Channel by visiting this page

Unfortunately the solutions is still missing!

Hi CluelessinOC, I am also in the same boat. My iPhone stuck my recovery mode so I sent my phone to save drivers to recover my photos and videos. After evaluation and check my chip they said my memory full and logical corruption. No data recovery.

Is there any possible to recover photos and videos using Linux? Please needs help?

I have an I phone [not with any problems] but I do transfer and save Picts using Linux, so worth a try

I have an I phone [not with any problems] but I do transfer and save Picts using Linux, so worth a try
Did anyone tried Linux for my iPhone issue? I want to recover photos and videos only. Everyone scared me that recovery mode will be all data is encryptEd. So very less chance to for data recovery..

please give some steps and solution for my iPhone problem..

Just give it a try, switch on I-phone, use your I-phone USB cable to connect to your Linux machine it should show the phone and files, find what you're looking for and drag/drop the folders/individual files to the desk top [it may not work if you encrypted the phone]

Did you have a connection to the icloud for storage?

If so you can access the icloud from any pc, either windows, Linux or mac and retrieve them from there

Just give it a try, switch on I-phone, use your I-phone USB cable to connect to your Linux machine it should show the phone and files, find what you're looking for and drag/drop the folders/individual files to the desk top [it may not work if you encrypted the phone]
I think my phone memory storage encrypted. Drivesavers said the still I have data in the memory but in recovery mode. Right now I don’t have Linux machine. while updating software by mistake I unplugged my ph from laptop. Then stuck in Apple logo charge gone then it’s shows recovery mode.

Staff online

Members online