Extremely bad visual problems, can't find cause

TadaFireworks

Reaction score
Credits
I recently installed manjaro linux on an older computer with an nvidia graphics card. Until recently, the computer had no problems running, but in the past week, I have had extremely terrible problems. When I scrolled on (not only, but mostly on) firefox, black rectangles briefly flashed. When playing back video on VLC, it usually run fine, until I paused the video and attempted to resume, when the computer often completely frose up, or more recently lagging, where it would lag in a pattern, where it would register my inputs as normal, and then for a few seconds display the same frame and repeated. I am using KDE Plasma, and in one case the blur effects on the taskbar and other UI were glitching in and out of being applied.

I don't know how do diagnose this. This happened around the time I updated basically everything, including the kernel I was using. I suspect it has something to do with the graphics card or it's drivers, because things that don't involve rendering stuff on screen basically work flawlessly.

Thanks for any help.

I suspect it has something to do with the graphics card or it's drivers, because things that don't involve rendering stuff on screen basically work flawlessly.

So Terminal (Konsole under KDE) is OK visually? If so, we'll likely get you to run a couple of commands and give us the output.

G'day Sparkie (takes a spark to light fireworks ;) ) and welcome to linux.org.

I have Manjaro KDE in my stable, and when I have finished running updates and taking a Timeshift snapshot in Kali, I will hop into Manjaro and take a look.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Disclaimer here is that I am not a graphics expert, and I am using AMD Radeon, not Nvidia.

In Manjaro KDE you can go to your Start Menu/Apps Launcher, type in Settings and choose Manjaro Setting Manager. Scroll down or enlarge the popup window go to Hardware Configuration and double-click, from there you can choose to auto-install open source driver.

That would likely install the Nouveau driver, which is the open-source answer to Nvidia. You could then choose that and reboot and see if it helps.

I don't suppose you have installed Timeshift, have you? If so, you could roll back. It is in your Repositories.

Cheers

Wizard
BTW if someone else comes along with a better idea, do consider taking their advice :)

Yes, most system functions work, and I am pretty sure terminal works as well.

What are the commands you were talking about?

Code:
inxi -Fxz

... for one. This will give us a broad idea of your computers specs, including the nvidia. I am running updates and Timeshift snapshots elsewhere at the moment, but I am pretty sure inxi is installed by default with Manjaro.

If not then run

Code:
sudo pacman -S inxi

#OR

yay -S inxi

#to install it, and then run the inxi command

It's a good idea when you first install Linux to run inxi and save the output to a text file and keep it for displaying at venues such as this.

For your own purposes

Code:
inxi -Fxs

will include the MAC addresses for your Ethernet and Wifi. With the "z" option, for showing elsewhere, it filters out the MAC addresses to safeguard your privacy.

So

1. Inxi output, please
2. Let us know if the Settings Manager shows any graphics driver information and options
3. Is Manjaro the only system on the computer or is it dualbooting with a Windows? If the former, there will be no Grub Menu, if the latter there will be. We can make the Grub Menu visible, in which case we can choose from Advanced Options to try it with the previous working kernel and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online