Facebook Yes/No

DavePM

Reaction score
Credits
I do have a Facebook account but use it mostly for following local news pages and tech pages. I post on Facebook very seldom and my profile is locked down as far as Facebook will allow.

So my issues with Facebook are as follows.
  • It seems to be populated with more scammers and scammers than I need.
  • Most people seem to lose the ability to think when they login and just post anything no matter how ridiculous it is.
  • If you do report any real issues to Facebook they just come back saying it does not go against their guidelines. However let you just post one word that they don't like then it is off to Facebook jail for you.
  • I would also not trust Facebook with any of my private information either.

This has been the case since the early days. It's better not to have an account. I don't like how that site (and Google and much more, enough said) is forced upon people who are very glad to have free phone service related to low yearly income. Someone I know has to recharge the phone battery more frequently out of using F.B., than out of just accepting mail and phone calls. :/

I hate social networking. I much prefer "impersonal" posting forums like this one. I have tried the "social bit" but it has left me even more frustrated than real life. I have made an even bigger mistake last year: join Reddit. It was much easier to abandon it because they made it near impossible for me to log in and I can't even post into my own profile. That place is worse than I had thought MySpace could ever be. I don't think the "subreddits" moderators even enforce their own rules because there is a lot of disrespect, "second meaning" and things easily taken personally and/or out of context. This is although I tried to restrict my activity to sports pages such as that for the MLB New York Yankees. I did join a "subreddit" about BASIC programming but I guess the moderator there was trying to abandon it.

Because most of our relatives are either under 35, or over 35 with kids under, I have a FB account to keep in contact, I recently did away with the Facebook application in favour of caprine which connects via the FB chat only, Yes I do miss some of the feeds I use to get especially the MOD and RAF ones, but I was getting bombarded with adverts for stuff I would never buy, and from friends, [no matter how many times I have told them] Phishing post. I recently got a smartphone, as our granddaughter [a sensible one she won't use Facebook] presented us with our first grt grandchild and the only social app she uses is whatsapp chat, on my part the phone is not roaming data enabled, it has no online banking [I would not trust it with a 40ft barge pole] or similar data sensitive apps, and is basically used as what it was intended for a telephone,
Yes I am old, yes I can be Miserable, but I have lots of things I can do, and I can speak to people face to face [a dying art] there is no way I would allow my life to be ruled by a bloody intrusive phone

I do face book but mostly for close friends and relatives. Would do away with it but friend and relatives insist on using it.
I post very seldom.

I have never used Facebook.

I do run a private forum for friends and family. They know how to reach me if needed.

I used to have a Facebook account, but, due to my name/surname combination being quite unique, I decided to get rid of it. It was to easy to find me. I had to deal with messages like "Is that you?" and accept invitations from people I barely remembered. My main page was filled with stories and news I didn't care about. I started to apply some rules and filters and soon discovered that getting rid of the whole thing would give me the same (or better) result. So, I did. 5+ years without Facebook and I don't miss it at all.

I have a couple of facebook account.

I used to have a fb account back in high school because it was becoming the latest trend at the time, but because I personally have experienced social media addiction, and fb is known for a mountain of other problems, I stopped using social media altogether after quitting fb and experiencing similar problems on other sites. Social media itself, like most other newer technologies, has become a sociological cancer, and I heavily encourage people, especially young people, to embrace a simpler life because of that. If you want tips on how to do that, here's a few examples: https://www.becomingminimalist.com/simpler/ On top of that, Gen Z is waking up to how addicting smart phones can be, and are bringing back the old school flip phone as a result https://www.bustle.com/life/am-i-too-old-for-tiktok-millennial. I'm a millennial and I already made the switch. Hopefully this will lead to a situation where feature phones finally remain the norm.

First time around using it, I got swamped by people I didn't know wanting to be my 'friend', so quit.

Second time around, I only use it for specific stuff, almost all are private groups, that I'm interested in, this seems to work well, at least, compared to my previous experience.

First time around using it, I got swamped by people I didn't know wanting to be my 'friend', so quit.
I had a cousin who couldn't give up the site but said he played a lot of games. Because tasks in a game require many people to approve, he was getting friend requests from accounts that could have been bots. He also said he noticed Facebook has many people that join only to play games and otherwise hate social networking. He had like 50 acquaintances at one time but eventually reduced them to a handful, not necessarily from his family. It's been a few years since we last talked but I don't dare ask him about it again.

The only social media I am really active in is YouTube if that can even be called a social media site.

It went against every fiber of my being, but... A year or so ago, I signed up on FaceBook. Once I got setup and signed in, I started looking for my siblings and my kids. I literally got banned for searching for my own children and family members!!! (Seven siblings, two kids and tree grandchildren) I appealed, but no luck.

I felt like I was in, 2001 A Space Odyssey. "I'm sorry Dave"... I can't let you do that. Or worse yet, the Outer Limits. "We control what you see and hear." What FB DID do for me and my family is... Rather than check in on each others FB page, we started calling or doing Face Time and having some fantastic conversations. Bonus... With Face Time I get to see more of the grand kids!

I threw Facebook out the door years ago, it was bad for my mental health.

I threw Facebook out the door years ago, it was bad for my mental health.
It's becoming increasingly clear to me that Facebook can potentially have detrimental effects on mental health. At times, I find myself engrossed in it even during work hours, which is a clear indicator that its influence may be becoming problematic. However, it's a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's an excellent tool for promoting my YouTube channel and fostering a sense of community among my followers. On the other hand, it also serves as an outlet for me to express my thoughts and opinions about various subjects.

My main Profile

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that Facebook can potentially have detrimental effects on mental health. At times, I find myself engrossed in it even during work hours, which is a clear indicator that its influence may be becoming problematic. However, it's a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's an excellent tool for promoting my YouTube channel and fostering a sense of community among my followers. On the other hand, it also serves as an outlet for me to express my thoughts and opinions about various subjects.

Its not just Facebook that has that problem, just look at how toxic Twitter is. There's a reason why the term "Twitter mobs" exists. If you dare to speak your mind instead of going along with group-think, you get harassed, ridiculed, and maybe even death threats. Not to rain on your parade, but YouTube has also become a crapshoot in the last decade or so because of algorithms, Google's politics, censorship, and Orwellian business practices, and bots. Just to be clear, I'm not discouraging you from not having a YouTube channel, as I'm sure you've worked hard to turn that into something, and what you do with your own life is your own business. That being said, this is an example of how social media has helped ruined what made the early web great, and its why I'm now going to try out IPFS as possible alternative to the web.

Members online