• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

Failed to install and run wine virtualbox VMware in Fedora 36

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a pc with Intel i3 10th gen processor and asus prime h 510 me motherboard and I have installed Fedora 36 and I have tried to run windows notepad++ using wine and failed and after that I have tried to install virtualbox and again failed to install and after that I have tried to install VMware workstation player and again failed.

At first I have tried to install wine from Fedora 36 repositories and succeeded in installing packages such as wine, wine64, qwine and all its dependencies but when I try to launch winecfg I am getting as "The current version of wine is staging try to install wine stable and run wine after that". I have searched wine in Fedora packages website but it is showing as wine stable. I have even added winehq f36 repository and after that I have issued the command

Code:
sudo dnf install winehq-stable

I got error as winehq-stable not found.

The instructions are given clearly in https://wiki.winehq.org/Fedora

I have followed the instructions given in the above mentioned website but failed to install wine.

After that I have tried to install virtualbox from Fedora 36 repositories and succeeded but when I try to launch virtualbox app it is loading perfectly but when I try to create windows xp 64 virtual machine and start it it is showing error as vboxdrv is not loaded. After that I searched web and found that vboxdrv kernel module is not available.

After that I have tried to install VMware workstation player and succeeded but when I try to launch it I am getting message some of the modules need to be compiled so select yes and I have selected yes. This time I am getting error as read /tmp/vmware-root/log-11000. When I open the said log file I am getting error as /usr/lib/vmware/settings not found.

Previously I mean 7 years back I have succeeded running wine and virtualbox and even VMware workstation without any errors but I can't now.

Kindly try to suggest how to suggest how to run the above on Fedora 36.

Regards,
Rupesh.

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
Why do you need winehq? It isn't a standard Fedora rpm. I suspect this is breaking your wine.
None of the standard Fedora repos (including rpmfusion) have winehq.
Fedora rarely names it's packages any "stable". This is more of a Ubuntu/Debian thing.
The only packages I've ever seen named stable or unstable are rust packages.
I've been running wine in Fedora for over 10 years. Including Fedora 36.

VirtualBox is not VMwarePlayer. VMwarePlayer is not VirtualBox.
VirtualBox is part of the standard Fedora repos. Again I have been running VirtualBox
under Fedora for many years.

vboxdrv is a dynamic module, it gets loaded when the app gets loaded. It isn't compiled into the kernel.
No modules need to be compiled at all. I can tell you, VMware and VirtualBox don't play well together.
I would delete one of them.

1662818903258.png

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
If for some reason you need winehq. You have to install about 30 other devlopment packages.

sudo dnf install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 glibc-devel.i686 glibc-devel libgcc.i686 libX11-devel.i686 freetype-devel.i686 libXcursor-devel.i686 libXi-devel.i686 libXext-devel.i686 libXxf86vm-devel.i686 libXrandr-devel.i686 libXinerama-devel.i686 mesa-libGLU-devel.i686 mesa-libOSMesa-devel.i686 libXrender-devel.i686 libpcap-devel.i686 ncurses-devel.i686 libzip-devel.i686 lcms2-devel.i686 zlib-devel.i686 libv4l-devel.i686 libgphoto2-devel.i686 cups-devel.i686 libxml2-devel.i686 openldap-devel.i686 libxslt-devel.i686 gnutls-devel.i686 libpng-devel.i686 flac-libs.i686 json-c.i686 libICE.i686 libSM.i686 libXtst.i686 libasyncns.i686 libedit.i686 liberation-narrow-fonts.noarch libieee1284.i686 libogg.i686 libsndfile.i686 libuuid.i686 libva.i686 libvorbis.i686 libwayland-client.i686 libwayland-server.i686 llvm-libs.i686 mesa-dri-drivers.i686 mesa-filesystem.i686 mesa-libEGL.i686 mesa-libgbm.i686 nss-mdns.i686 ocl-icd.i686 pulseaudio-libs.i686 sane-backends-libs.i686 tcp_wrappers-libs.i686 unixODBC.i686 samba-common-tools.x86_64 samba-libs.x86_64 samba-winbind.x86_64 samba-winbind-clients.x86_64 samba-winbind-modules.x86_64 mesa-libGL-devel.i686 fontconfig-devel.i686 libXcomposite-devel.i686 libtiff-devel.i686 openal-soft-devel.i686 mesa-libOpenCL-devel.i686 opencl-utils-devel.i686 alsa-lib-devel.i686 gsm-devel.i686 libjpeg-turbo-devel.i686 pulseaudio-libs-devel.i686 pulseaudio-libs-devel gtk3-devel.i686 libattr-devel.i686 libva-devel.i686 libexif-devel.i686 libexif.i686 glib2-devel.i686 mpg123-devel.i686 mpg123-devel.x86_64 libcom_err-devel.i686 libcom_err-devel.x86_64 libFAudio-devel.i686 libFAudio-devel.x86_64

sudo dnf groupinstall "C Development Tools and Libraries"
sudo dnf groupinstall "Development Tools"

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi first I have tried wine which is installed from Fedora but after launching its showing message as the current one is staging and try stable and after that I have tried the one present in winehq which has the word stable.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi before seeing your reply I have installed virtualbox and akmod virtualbox packages but I have not added extensions pack. After that I have launched virtualbox and created and started a new windows xp virtual machine. I got error as "virtual box kernel driver not loaded" rc=1908

Upon seeing this message I have tried to sign kernel modules manually by following the websites

And finally the modules present in /lib/modules/5.19.7-200.fc36.x86_64/extra/VirtualBox are signed.

After that I have launched virtualbox again but there's no use I mean I am getting same error as previous.

After that I have uninstalled all virtualbox packages and reinstalled virtualbox package and akmod virtualbox package and after that I have added extensions pack and after that I have restarted and even there is no use I mean when I launch virtualbox I am getting same error as previous.

Again and again I am getting same error. Kindly try to suggest how to remove any certificates created by me manually and how to make virtualbox properly.

Regards,
Rupesh.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
I am ready to follow all the suggestions given by you and I am ready to provide any output of the commands to make virtualbox and wine work properly.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Here the issue is as my system is uefi based and so the virtualbox installer failed to create kernel module.

I have disabled secure boot in bios and after that I have launched virtualbox and this time I am able to run windows virtual machine without any errors.

But when I enable secure boot in bios and after restarting and launching virtualbox it's showing same error.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Thanks for your suggestions and the issue of virtualbox has been resolved by following the procedure of /usr/share/doc/akmods/readme.secureboot.

But I can't run wine stable.

OP
R

rupeshforu3

Reaction score
Credits
Hi please try to suggest how to run properly wine under Fedora 36 Linux and if I can't run wine then I have to use virtualbox or VMware just to run notepad++.

My first preference to run any small windows apps is to use wine and if it's not possible then I will try virtualbox or VMware. If wine is running properly then there's is no need of others.

Another issue is windows xp which I have installed in virtualbox can't run new windows apps like notepad++ 8.5.4 x64. So I have to install windows 7 or windows 8 under virtualbox.

If you want I am ready to provide any output of commands and logs to you.

Willup23

Reaction score
Credits
Hi please try to suggest how to run properly wine under Fedora 36 Linux and if I can't run wine then I have to use virtualbox or VMware just to run notepad++.

My first preference to run any small windows apps is to use wine and if it's not possible then I will try virtualbox or VMware. If wine is running properly then there's is no need of others.

Another issue is windows xp which I have installed in virtualbox can't run new windows apps like notepad++ 8.5.4 x64. So I have to install windows 7 or windows 8 under virtualbox.

If you want I am ready to provide any output of commands and logs to you.
Why do you want to run notepad++ at all? Loads of text and ide's that come with linux already, that do more than that win program does. Looks like you didn't install wine correctly and just ignored what dos2unix told you. I put "how to install wine on fedora 36" into ddg, and got really simple things

how come you couldn't find those? What your doing doesn't make alot of sense.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online