Failed to load ldlinux.c32

vincentc

Reaction score
Credits
I'm trying to install linux on a Dell Inspiron laptop with 3GB Ram. I've tried at least 3 different flavors -- Mint, Zorin OS, and Nitrux and 3 different ways of loading it -- burn the ISO to DVD, put ISO on USB stick using Rufus, UNetbootin and put ISO on USB stick using Pen Drive Linux. The Zorin OS gets the farthest with Rufus and PenDriveLinux -- it says it installs completely and then asks for a reboot. But after reboot, I immediately get "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" error. Most common solutions online to this are to use different loaders/installers, but this doesn't seem to work for me. I should mention that the "portable" version of Zorin OS runs fine -- it's only the permanent installation that gives this error. I'm beginning to think it's something funny about the laptop itself, but if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do me a favor, it won't take long. I'm not seeing anything unusual with regards to your laptop's hardware.

Try making a USB installation drive with Balena Etcher.

When using UnetBootin most forget to put in a number in the "Space used to preserve files across reboots"(Ubuntu Only) UnetBootin sets up persistence in Ubuntu based OS and needs a number in that block usually 9999 which will use the entire thumb drive for persistent storage- also when you format the drive prior to using UnetBootin, to fat32 give it a name called FAT32 - the other option is as KGIII suggests.

KGIII, I tried balenaEtcher (with the Zorin OS iso) which seems to be a nice utility, but alas -- the same thing. Installation takes about 30 minutes and then I get a message like "Installation Complete - reboot now or continue to test system". Reboot quickly fails - "ISOLINUX 6.03....." next line is "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" and then "Boot failed: press a key to retry". (I also used a different USB stick).
I'll try Expirion's suggestion. BTW, I also chose NTFS one time instead of FAT32 to no effect.

One final update - I used the same USB flash drive with Zorin OS and PenDrive Linux loader and successfully installed Zorin on another laptop (a Samsung with Win 10 on it). I think I will just give up on this old Dell for now. Thanks again for trying.

Dell Inspiron N5050
your machine is getting on [around 10 yrs old] but it should run 32& 64 bit systems ok
some of the latest builds of Linux with eye candy desktops may give problems to the mobile Celeron processor,
I would be leaning to a full installation of something with a mid to lightweight desktop based on Debian stable
oh and about the time your machine was made we were in the era of change from booting from optical to usb drives [if yours has an optical drive then i would suggest you try using that]

Bwiz

Oh my -- you guys are gonna be pissed at me :mad: After reading BrickWizard's comment, I remembered that I already HAD tried the optical DVD install method -- it was my FIRST method -- but it had failed, and then I switched to USB installs. However, I DID NOT remove the DVD from the tray!!! So the Zorin OS USB install was successful, but upon reboot the DVD drive was still in the bios boot priority list, and the DVD was still in the tray, so it tried to install from the DVD again and failed again. I apologize for this STUPID mistake. I don't even remember what flavor of Linux is on the DVD and don't really care why it fails with this "Failed to load ldlinux.c32" error -- but that has been my problem. I appreciate all of the suggestions I received -- and I sincerely apologize for my mistake:rolleyes: Zorin OS is now running fine from the hard drive and the DVD has been removed from the tray.

Welcome to the world of technology... where we all make mistakes. And experience is the best teacher. Congrats on figuring this out!

I apologize for this STUPID mistake
apologies not necessary, it is the stupid mistakes that make us learn, as they are the ones that stick in the grey matter.
Bwiz

As memory serves, someone else on the site did the same thing not too long ago.

I once did the same thing in a virtual machine, largely from making the assumption that VirtualBox would be smart enough to boot to the virtual hard drive after the installation. It took a few reboots before I noticed because it was with OpenSUSE which has an 'update' option in the live .iso. So, I'd go through the update process wondering why I had to do so every time. I think it took two or three reboots before I figured it out.

I think we all have done silly mistakes a time or two - It's just part of the learning process

Members online