Fairly Experienced But Want Good Alternative to Windows

LambShanks

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I am a fairly experienced Linux user, but would like to know what is an easy-to-use, but efficient alternative to Windows Linux distribution for my HP Pavilion i5 laptop. It's a slightly older model (with a DVD writer/player: HP DV6-3134TX Notebook).

It has 4 GB of RAM.

I would prefer to stick with an Ubuntu-based distribution.

Thanks.

ferenos and peppermint were two that impressed me (as much as I can be imnpressed by ubuntu-based distros) and don't believe the cloud-based hype about the latter, it can be made to be better than lubuntu, IMHO -- apt install and apt remove what you want!

I second Peppermint.,
It's a nice distro and is stable.

I second Arochester's advice. Check out distro watch. You can research what is available, and what seems to fit your needs. Then use a thumb drive to experiment. Good Luck finding the right distro for you, and remember to have fun on the way to your destination.
Paul

Last edited:
Nothing is similar to Windows. If you're experienced in Linux, just go for something more useful than the typical Ubuntu distros. It's more fun to learn Linux than just using it like Windows

Windows is not Linux, and Linux is not Windows. Any comparison of similarities will only be superficial. If you look at my signature, you will see my bias. And it's a bias I've held for the past 12+ years. So make a choice, try it, if you don't like, try something else. There are lots of Linux choices, so enjoy!

That's a pretty old article, it talks about version 0.4.9 but they have 0.4.13 out...
Oh yeah, I didn't see the date, :oops: but I wanted to use it as a starting point for discussion of another possibility for OP.:)

Q4OS https://www.q4os.org/index.html

Linux Lite https://www.linuxliteos.com/features.html

MX-Linux https://mxlinux.org/current-release-features/

I personally like Q4OS better than Lite and MX, specially the KDE version, however, Lite and MX are both preloaded with quite some unique tools to make user's experience easier. You might download the three, burn/write them to a USB and try them out in live mode to see which one suits you better or use something like virtualbox and create a couple of VMs. BTW, Q4OS and MX are both Debian based while Lite is based on Ubuntu.

Hope this helps! :)

Not everybody likes a particular distro, and that's why we end up in "distro wars" :(

There are differences among certain groups can be significant. I've tried all of the distros recommended above at sometime or other, and have not been too impressed

I would prefer to stick with an Ubuntu-based distribution.

What I can recommend on that part of your criteria is Kubuntu, Mint Cinnamon or Mate, or Peppermint. I'm a long time Kubuntu user, but Mint and Peppermint are in the family and do work very well. Since each of these are free for the taking, download any or all, burn each ISO to its own thumb drive - or one at a time. Try each, pick one. If you don't like it later, use something else. Any of these will get you in the door.

I agree completely with jglen490. I did exactly what he described, trolling distrowatch for days (no joke). Debian-based, RH/rpm-based, and Arch-based. The UI will always differ from flavor to flavor, as well as by desktop (KDE, XFCE, etc). The best way is to try until you’re satisfied!

I agree completely with jglen490. I did exactly what he described, trolling distrowatch for days (no joke). Debian-based, RH/rpm-based, and Arch-based. The UI will always differ from flavor to flavor, as well as by desktop (KDE, XFCE, etc). The best way is to try until you’re satisfied!
or just go with directly with Debian or Arch. No need for the "based" if you want a full on customized to your very own