Fallback Mode after switching graphics card (Linux Mint)

willpowell

Reaction score
Credits
I recently switched graphics card to a VGA D33A27.
The VGA/DVI displays work but when booting up Linux Mint goes into fallback mode. I have tried installing a fresh version of mint but same issue.
Do I need to get propriety drivers? Or change BIOS settings? Any ideas much appreciated.

I think Linux Mint has a Driver Manager in the Settings section.
Try checking there first.

The GPU that you switched to, is that a Nvidia card? <OR> AMD Radeon card?
OR> Intel?

Also, what desktop environment are you using in Mint?

I think Linux Mint has a Driver Manager in the Settings section.
Try checking there first.

The GPU that you switched to, is that a Nvidia card? <OR> AMD Radeon card?
OR> Intel?

Also, what desktop environment are you using in Mint?
Thank you for your reply. I have tried the driver manager, but that is empty. I have switched from a Nvidia to AMD Radeon. I am using the Cinnamon edition.

I recently switched graphics card to a VGA D33A27.
The VGA/DVI displays work but when booting up Linux Mint goes into fallback mode. I have tried installing a fresh version of mint but same issue.
Do I need to get propriety drivers? Or change BIOS settings? Any ideas much appreciated.
You would and should always start with checking in BIOS as this is where these issues can start from, so best to start in a chronological and methodical way starting at the bottom.
Questions for you to ask your self = what is the host client being used & Whats Bios set up as.

You would and should always start with checking in BIOS as this is where these issues can start from, so best to start in a chronological and methodical way starting at the bottom.
Questions for you to ask your self = what is the host client being used & Whats Bios set up as.
Cannot find a great deal in BIOS. Checked the serial port 1 address which is [3F8/IRQ4]. Tried selecting automatic but this did not change anything.

Open a terminal and share the output of:
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -i vga

Run that command for our member f33dm3bits and post the output when you can.

Open a terminal and share the output of:
Code:
lspci -nn | grep -i vga
I have ran it and got:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X300] [1002:5b60]

and ran lshw -C Video and got:

*-display:0
description: VGA compatible controller
product: RV370 [Radeon X300]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
resources: irq:29 memory:fa000000-fbffffff memory:fdcf0000-fdcfffff ioport:ac00(size=256) memory:c0000-dffff
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
description: Display controller
product: RV370 [Radeon X300 SE]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0.1
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.1
version: 00
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
resources: memory:fdce0000-fdceffff

I expect the drivers are no longer compatible with linux Ulssya?

I looked on AMD's website for a linux driver for your RV370 Radeon X300.
I'm sorry there isn't a driver that I was able to find.

I looked on AMD's website for a linux driver for your RV370 Radeon X300.
I'm sorry there isn't a driver that I was able to find.
Really appreciate you looking. Will have to find another GPU. Thanks anyways everyone

Looks like it's still supported by the kernel Linux Mint 20.1(Ulssya) is running on and it still works on Ubuntu 20.04 so you shouldn't need a new graphics card.

Looks like it's still supported by the kernel Linux Mint 20.1(Ulssya) is running on and it still works on Ubuntu 20.04 so you shouldn't need a new graphics card.
Ok there’s hope! How do I install this? Can’t find any instructions that aren’t for Linux pros.

Ok there’s hope! How do I install this? Can’t find any instructions that aren’t for Linux pros.

What kernel are you running in your Mint install?
Run: uname -a to find out

Anyway........
Click on the word 'kernel' in post #15 that f33dm3bits posted for you.
Clicking on that should take you to the page that shows you 'kernel drivers' in the middle of the page.

I think you need the second one from the bottom.
Under source it says: drivers/gpu /drm/radeon/ radeon_drv.c.
Click on radeon_drv.c and that should take you to the Github page to download it.

What kernel are you running in your Mint install?
Run: uname -a to find out

Anyway........
Click on the word 'kernel' in post #15 that f33dm3bits posted for you.
Clicking on that should take you to the page that shows you 'kernel drivers' in the middle of the page.

I think you need the second one from the bottom.
Under source it says: drivers/gpu /drm/radeon/ radeon_drv.c.
Click on radeon_drv.c and that should take you to the Github page to download it.

Great, I have installed whole GitHub folder containing radeon_drv.c and .h file and generic Makefile.

I have tried opening terminal in the folder location and typing “make” and “sudo make install”. That is giving me error “make: *** No rule to make target ‘install’. ” How do I install driver from source code?

Final step I hope. Thanks again you guys are legends

G'day Will and welcome to linux.org :)

Just a holding post for you at the moment as this is not my area of expertise, but the folder generated from your download - does it contain a file named install.txt or readme.txt ?

These can shed a little light on the procedure.

I expect Alex or other will be along sooner or later - depends on how they are spending their Easter :)

HTH

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Great, I have installed whole GitHub folder containing radeon_drv.c and .h file and generic Makefile.

I have tried opening terminal in the folder location and typing “make” and “sudo make install”. That is giving me error “make: *** No rule to make target ‘install’. ” How do I install driver from source code?

Final step I hope. Thanks again you guys are legends
Look inside of that folder that you downloaded from Github.
It should have a "Install" or "ReadMe" file that will tell you how to install it.

Members online