Fan control options and other set up questions

clust3rfck

Reaction score
Credits
I am hesitant to post this. I have used the search function a little and can't seem to find what I am looking for.
I am used to using speedfan. A quick google search shows that there are some fan controllers out there but I wondered if there is a favorite among users?
I like Mint so much just checking it out briefly that I added it to my main computer. Once I get some fan control going I can check it out further.
Because I have 5 total hard drives, I disconnected all of my hard drives except the one I installed on. When I reboot between systems it doesn't ask me which one to boot to. Is there a way to restore that function? I can tell the pc which drive to boot to each time if I have to.
I see there is an epic game installer for or through lutris. Do games play the same as they do on windows platforms?
What about drivers for my rgb or my water pump?
What about my GPU drivers and crap like afterburner or EVGA flow control? Are there Linux versions? Do they work any better? Half or more of the drivers for my computer build don't work. It sure would be nice to get some utility out of all the cool stuff I got for my computer that has just terrible tools.
Somewhere in the start up screen there are icons like you have for the trash that sit on the desktop. I see where there is a catalogue of different things but I am unsure how to get them on the desktop. Can someone explain?
What are some of the must haves you would recommend for a newb?
I imagine I will have more questions as I go along. As soon as I get some fan control going I intend to make mint my main os.
Thanks in advance.

First, it is ALWAYS useful to know what distro you are using, and some info about your hardware. A lot of Linux distros have a large software base available in some sort of repository set and with some sort of software installer/manager.

First, it is ALWAYS useful to know what distro you are using, and some info about your hardware. A lot of Linux distros have a large software base available in some sort of repository set and with some sort of software installer/manager.
Oh Yeah! I knew I was forgetting something!
I have mint cinnamon 20
aaaaaaaand hardware.
Asus 970 Pro Gaming Aura MOBO
FX 6350 CPU
MSI R9 270 X GPU
16 Gb ddr3 RAM @ 2133 Mhz
EVGA 280mm aio
Literal ass load of fans
1500W PSU
stack of hard drives that I have recovered from various sources. About half I bought new.
All of this stuff except for half the fans and half the hard drives are old and crusty. I have been trying to get a solid 25% overclock on my system, hoping there are tools that will help with that as well, like cpuZ, gpuZ, HWinfo64, Prime95 or similar programs.

Mint has a lot of available software, mostly Ubuntu based, and a very good searchable software manager.

Depending on how your fans are connected, and your motherboard, some may not be controllable.

Mint has a lot of available software, mostly Ubuntu based, and a very good searchable software manager.
do you....have any recommendations?

I have Kubuntu, and looking in Synaptic (which I believe Mint still uses), and doing a search on "fan control" results in "fancontrol".

I let my system perform its own fan control, but I do monitor selected temps with the psensor app. This is safe, as I don't overclock or have a complex hardware setup with the laptop I am using. And the fancontrol app is not currently installed.

Have a look at CoreCtrl, it has installation instructions for several distributions including Ubuntu/Mint.

Members online

Latest posts