Fan of Cygwin?

F

forestplay

I'm forced to use a Windows box at work. To give me some Unix command line power, I use Cygwin. Very nice for use when you have no other choice.

-Bob

G

grim76

Cygwin is ok and I have used it before when restricted on machines. With the untapped power that most machines have now you might look at running virtualbox or something similar so you can have a linux VM running on your machine. Best of both worlds so to speak.

D

Darwin

Using Cygwin most of the time, I am going to try out Grim's advice it seems quite sound.

F

forestplay

I second grim's advice regarding virtualbox. I have found it easy to setup and low maintenance.

Also, look for pre-made virtual machines for virtualbox. I have a couple of Turnkey appliances running a webserver and mySQL server. These are setup very well for self-maintaining (support by Turnkey for free or for a fee).

-Bob

S

Stefano Messicano

It feels like I've been using cygwin forever--I think my first installation was under Windows NT 3.51. When I look five years into the future, I think I'm more likely to be running Windows and some version of Linux in a VM.

D

Darwin

Cygwin is ok and I have used it before when restricted on machines. With the untapped power that most machines have now you might look at running virtualbox or something similar so you can have a linux VM running on your machine. Best of both worlds so to speak.
You are a star :) \O/

D

dale

I have only used it a long, long time ago to get some codes running...

F

forestplay

Where did you get the executable? If you built it from source, then you will have to do some debugging on your own. If you downloaded a binary, did you download a Cygwin binary? If not, it won't run and you will either have to download the Cygwin binary or build the package from source.
http://www.cygwin.com/

I have never done more than download the setup.exe binary, pick the packages I want and download the binaries. Works well. I use almost exclusively default settings.

-Bob