Faster Virtual Machines Around?

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
Are there any Virtual Machine apps that are faster then VMWare & VirtualBox?

I think they are all pretty close. VMware ESX runs on bare metal. So it's hard to beat.
VirtualBox and VMwarePlayer are based on libvirt, so some say libvirt KVM/QEMU is slightly
faster because of less overhead.

I've used about all of them, and I haven't really seen any noticeable difference.
CPU speed/cores/ Vcores, RAM speed, drive speed, number of vNICs on an adapter
all seem to have more influence than the VM host app.

I've been trying to run WinXP using VMWare and it tends to run Slow. Even when I set 4-8 GB Ram & 6-12 Process. Cores. It just keeps running Slow.

The Problem I have with VirtualBox is getting the OS Screen to go Full Screen instead of having a black border around the OS Screen.

KVM/QEMU is slightly
faster because of less overhead.

That's how I understand it - but I think people overestimate the difference, especially on modern hardware.

I use virtualization daily and just stick with VirtualBox (as a general rule). I like the ease and GUI tools.

Docker containers are faster but they are a different sort of virtualisation. They use the linux kernel that is running your machine to run the containers, so the user doesn't have to boot a kernel as happens within vbox, vmware and kvm. And many containers can run simultaneously, each running an OS. You can check out the docker home: https://docs.docker.com/. It's free and open source.

Last edited:
Hi all, new forum member here :)

My personal choice is VMWare Workstation. Recently I am running the trial version but it is highly likely I will purchase a version. VirtualBox is good but the VMW interface is just nicer IMHO.

I have no experience with Docker and maybe I should dive into it so that will be my project for next week.

Welcome to the forums
I am not a user of Virtual machines but , we do have several members who do and will no doubt chip in when they are on line, Just one question, which OS are you thinking of using as a host?

Welcome to the forums
I am not a user of Virtual machines but , we do have several members who do and will no doubt chip in when they are on line, Just one question, which OS are you thinking of using as a host?
Thanks for the welcome. :)

I'm a bit confused as to whether or not that question is directed to me but the host System is Parrot Home Edition. And works flawlessly.

I'm a bit confused as to whether or not that question is directed to me but the host System is Parrot Home Edition. And works flawlessly.
I guessed Parrot was involved somewhere down the line [I have it on one of my spare drives]

I've been trying to run WinXP using VMWare and it tends to run Slow. Even when I set 4-8 GB Ram & 6-12 Process. Cores. It just keeps running Slow.

The Problem I have with VirtualBox is getting the OS Screen to go Full Screen instead of having a black border around the OS Screen.
Did you remember to actually enable virtualization in the bios/uefi, AMD(AMD-V) or Intel(VT-d, Intel VT-x)?

I guessed Parrot was involved somewhere down the line [I have it on one of my spare drives]
Loving the distro from day 1 when it was released. Back then it was still a Formula 1 car with no breaks or steering, just speed and crashes. It came a long way and I use it as my daily driver for pretty much everything.

My machine is fairly low key, an almost 10yo workstation, quadcore processor, 4Gb RAM.........too cheap to by a new one as long as there is a GNU/Linux distro to run on it.

And, surprisingly this is the ONLY distro that will run VM's (as I do occasionally) smoothly. Don't ask me why, 'cuz I do not know. Perhaps it is the 6Gb SWAP file I've added to temporarily park other processes.

Members online

Latest posts