Favourite Linux distro

Fedora, Alma, SLES.

Your selections leave a bit to be desired. For example, I'm stuck voting for Ubuntu. I really use Lubuntu.

If you wanted to do distro families, Ubuntu is derived from Debian, so you'd not include them both.

Additionally, there are hundreds (literally) of Linux distros.

If this is an attempt to find the perfect distro for yourself....this is not the way to go about it.

Obvioulsy you are a beginner, judging by the number of distros you have not included.

There are hundreds and hundreds of them

Just download Linux Mint to a thumb drive and boot to it.....Have a play with it for a while and make up your own mind.

Booting to it will not harm whatever you already have on your pc/laptop.

If this is an attempt to find the perfect distro for yourself....this is not the way to go about it.

Obvioulsy you are a beginner, judging by the number of distros you have not included.

There are hundreds and hundreds of them

Just download Linux Mint to a thumb drive and boot to it.....Have a play with it for a while and make up your own mind.

Booting to it will not harm whatever you already have on your pc/laptop.
I already have linux and am an average but I forgot they are so much distros. :(

Devuan, Parabola, Linux Mint

Well I know fedora is based rhel? so is alma I don’t know , correct me if i’m wrong :)
It's the other way around Rhel is based on Fedora and Alma is a clone of Rhel with the Rhel logos replaced by Alma logos.

Another what is the best question, it gets the same answer to what is the best desktop/browser & etc

The one that works the best on whatever Kit it is installed on

I'm in love with Gentoo myself. I love how versatile and powerful it is, but requires a minimum of expertise and/or patience, as well as a powerful CPU if you want a decent experience. That distro isn't for everyone, but by far is a masterpiece (and it's systemd-free, too!).

'Puppy' Linux. What else...?

(.....and very occasionally, ZorinOS).

Mike. ;)

I'm in love with Gentoo myself. I love how versatile and powerful it is, but requires a minimum of expertise and/or patience, as well as a powerful CPU if you want a decent experience. That distro isn't for everyone, but by far is a masterpiece (and it's systemd-free, too!).
Mm.....Gentoo isn't so much a distro as it is a philosophy. It's presented as a concept, bu to make it a bona-fide reality the potential user needs to be prepared to put in a LOT of work (and time. Lots & lots of time).

You can choose whether or not to use systemd with most of these "build-it-yourself" distros. I still say LFS makes Gentoo look like a walk in the park, though....

There, you need to compile the compiler itself before you can even attempt to compile/build your very first kernel.....never mind the other million and one items that go to make up the average Linux distribution. Perfect for the average, masochistic ubergeek!

Sure as hell isn't for beginners.

Mike. :D

Last edited:
My favorite distro list is
1. Zorin os
2. Manjaro
3. MX Linux
4.Parrot os

Why ask here? Have you been to the DistroWatch website? The answers are waiting for you here:

https://distrowatch.com

I do not like the question, "What's your favorite Linux distro?" which is like asking, "What is your favorite vehicle?" The answer for both is, "It depends." The Linux distro that I may run on a server on the internet could be very different than the one I use as a desktop system.

-> Tell us more about how you want to use the Linux distro or why you are asking. It will help you get better answers.

Why ask here? Have you been to the DistroWatch website? The answers are waiting for you here:

https://distrowatch.com

I do not like the question, "What's your favorite Linux distro?" which is like asking, "What is your favorite vehicle?" The answer for both is, "It depends." The Linux distro that I may run on a server on the internet could be very different than the one I use as a desktop system.

-> Tell us more about how you want to use the Linux distro or why you are asking. It will help you get better answers.
It's good to ask before you buy ! Even if it costs nothing, because it saves time - especially when the people you ask give answer for the reason(s) why they make the choice.
Imagine a newbie attempting to install Kali!
I always ask friends/relatives for information about products that I never used before, or those whose brand the I have not been satisfied with. Of course I never trust these verbatim, always supplement them with Google searches later.
The only thing that annoys me in this case is this question has been asked too many times, on too many forums.

Members online

Latest posts