fedora 38 : nginx window pops-up

Greenberry

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I have just started using fedora 38 from an advice from the forum. But i have this strange problem, there is an grey window popping up really fast with the message 200 OK. I think that it is from the nginx webserver. I have tried to stop the server, but that failed, how do I stop the popup window from popping up and taking focus from the other apps that i'm using?

Can you share a screenshot to see what it looks like, since Nginx is not installed by default when install Fedora?

Are you trying to open a wepbage? Or is a Program popping up?
If there's a pop out window, try this:

Type xprop in your terminal and click on the picture, you want to know what it is. In terminal should appear the name of to software

Can you share a screenshot to see what it looks like, since Nginx is not installed by default when install Fedora?
It happens so fast so I don’t think I am able to take a screenshot. It is basi ally a grey window that sort of appears and disappears during approximately one second. So if I am playing a game or using VS code the current window looses focus or is minimized.

What type of game, some sort of browser game? I can't imagine Nginx being installed on your system?

What type of game, some sort of browser game? I can't imagine Nginx being installed on your system?
No, I play a lot of shadowrun on steam, but the grey window appears when I’m surfing or doing nothing, really strange. I came from Ubuntu and I’m really impressed with fedora, but once in the appearing grey window it says that it is nginx, but I have not installed it!? I have SELinux and firewall turned on and I have no response from 127.0.0.1

No, I play a lot of shadowrun on steam, but the grey window appears when I’m surfing or doing nothing, really strange. I came from Ubuntu and I’m really impressed with fedora, but once in the appearing grey window it says that it is nginx, but I have not installed it!? I have SELinux and firewall turned on and I have no response from 127.0.0.1
I'm running Fedora as well and I have not come across that issue. Are you running Fedora Workstation or one of the other Spins(KDE Plasm or Cinnamon)? Can you open a terminal and share the output of the following?
Code:
lspci |grep -i vga
env | grep -i way

Skärmbild från 2023-05-12 21-34-07.png

I'm using fedora 38 workstation

Do you have the Nvidia driver installed?
Can you share the output of the following?
Code:
lsmod | grep nvidia
dnf list installed | grep nginx
Can you just share your output in code tags instead of as a screenshot, it's easier to read that way?

Code:
(base) [michaelholm@fedora ~]$ lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia_drm             94208  203
nvidia_modeset       1290240  11 nvidia_drm
nvidia_uvm           3219456  0
nvidia              55853056  1174 nvidia_uvm,nvidia_modeset
video                  77824  1 nvidia_modeset
(base) [michaelholm@fedora ~]$ yum list installed | grep nginx
(base) [michaelholm@fedora ~]$

The Nvidia drivers are installed and you are using a Wayland session. What would be interesting to try is to switch over to a Xorg session to see if you have the problem doesn't occur there. Logged out of your session, click on your name, then at the bottom right click on a settings button, switch the session to Xorg and then login again. Then do you thing again and see if the problem is gone or that it is still there.

I now was able to catch the grey window that appears, it says:
Surfzone loggin
OK
and now also I seem to have a laptop monitor present in my display settings, that i don't have???

I now was able to catch the grey window that appears, it says:
Surfzone loggin
OK
and now also I seem to have a laptop monitor present in my display settings, that i don't have???
Are you able to make a screenshot of it now? I just did a search on Surfzone, the only thing that comes up is the following website: https://www.surfzone.se. Looking at your name displayed in your terminal output I would guess you are from somewhere in Scandinavia and since that website has a Swedish TLD I'm hoping that it may start to ring a bell for you?

You can go your display settings to disable that laptop monitor that you don't have.

I
Are you able to make a screenshot of it now? I just did a search on Surfzone, the only thing that comes up is the following website: https://www.surfzone.se. Looking at your name displayed in your terminal output I would guess you are from somewhere in Scandinavia and since that website has a Swedish TLD I'm hoping that it may start to ring a bell for you?

You can go your display settings to disable that laptop monitor that you don't have.
I disabled it, but how can I have a third monitor that I obviously dont have

"Screenshot"
It looks like it may have something to do with trying to log into a hotspot or something like that, since it seems to be from network settings so I would look so where there.

I disabled it, but how can I have a third monitor that I obviously dont have
I'm assuming you only have that when logged into a Wayland session and not when logged into an Xorg session since I have that too? It looks like it has something to do with the Nvidia driver since more people have reported it.
It looks like if you add the following "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" to default grub it should fix it, so adding it to the end of this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= which would then look something like this.
Code:
rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1
Then you have to update your Grub boot grub configuration by running the following.
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
Then reboot and the ghost display should be gone.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you only have that when logged into a Wayland session and not when logged into an Xorg session since I have that too? It looks like it has something to do with the Nvidia driver since more people have reported it.
It looks like if you add the following "nvidia-drm.modeset=1" to default grub it should fix it, so adding it to the end of this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= which would then look something like this.
Code:
rhgb quiet rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1
Then you have to update your Grub boot grub configuration by running the following.
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg
Then reboot and the ghost display should be gone.
Thanks! The extra monitor is now gone, and I suspect that the appearing window has to do something with my internet connection. There don't seem to be anyone on my network when i looked in the router.

Members online

No members online now.