Fedora Ver37 kernel Question

willyum

Reaction score
Credits
I just upgraded from F37. All seem to be well. My understanding is that v37 uses kernel 6.xxx. Based on what I see in the grub2 menu, it is booting with kernel 5.18.xx. Is anything wrong? It has been rebooted a couple of times.

most likely if you upgrade from 36 to 37 the 5.18 kernel is from 36 - go into the grub menu at boot up and select the 6.1 kernel once booted into that you can then remove the 5.18 kernel - rpm does not configure the new kernel to boot as the default kernel. You must do this manually -
Causing the GRUB 2 boot menu to display
If you set the GRUB_TIMEOUT option in the /etc/default/grub file to 0, GRUB 2 will not display its list of bootable kernels when the system starts up. In order to display this list when booting, press and hold any alphanumeric key while and immediately after BIOS information is displayed, and GRUB 2 will present you with the GRUB menu.

I am a little confused here.

@willyum have you upgraded from 36 to 37 or 37 to 38?

If the latter, that is a Beta version, just made available.

The final release for Fedora 38 is scheduled to occur between 18 and 25 April.

The answer to this can also affect my answering your question at your other thread here.

Cheers

Wizard

Sorry. My brain said 36 to 37. My fingers said somtinng different.

Like a bull in a china shop, I grabbed Grub Customizer and it showed a new grub menu list including Kernel 6.1.18-200. I saved it and, when I reboot, the grub menu does in fact show the latest kernel and it does boot from it. However, there is now in interim statement that appears after the menu that says, in part, "/EFI/Fedora/grubenv" Not Found. This does not seem to affect anything as it continues to boot. System Information shows that it has actually booted using 6.1.18-200. So. Is it fixed or does the "not found" statement need fixing?

Will this fix it?

Code:
sudo dnf -y reinstall grub2-common
sudo grub2-editenv create
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
sudo dracut -f --regenerate-all

Last edited:
1. I would be inclined to use Timeshift to restore a snapshot if you have a snapshot that is recent but pre-dates when you installed Grub Customizer.

2. If not, then the code you have provided is mostly accurate but out-of-date in the 3rd line. It should read

Code:
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /etc/grub2-efi.cfg

That is presuming your computer is on UEFI.

I advocate not using Grub Customizer it causes more problems than it solves.

Wizard

I decided to run the code first and then, if that didn't work, I could use Timeshift. It did work. Thanks for the correction. Are those 4 lines of code necessary after upgrades from one version to the next?

May I say, if Grub Customizer is problematic, someone should either fix it or remove it from the repository. It is potentially a nice tool. It would be nice to have it fixed.

Are firmware upgrades recommended? Is Lenovo Vantage good or just bloteware?

Last edited:
1. I would be inclined to use Timeshift to restore a snapshot if you have a snapshot that is recent but pre-dates when you installed Grub Customizer.

2. If not, then the code you have provided is mostly accurate but out-of-date in the 3rd line. It should read

Code:
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /etc/grub2-efi.cfg

That is presuming your computer is on UEFI.

I advocate not using Grub Customizer it causes more problems than it solves.

Wizard
I would like to know what issues Grub Customizer causes. I have used it to fix a problem in grub configuration and it worked flawlessly. So if it causes issues please tell me what they are so I can avoid those problems.

Are those 4 lines of code necessary after upgrades from one version to the next?

Not typically, but you have them if you need them, I'd stick them i a file in a folder called eg FedoraUpgradeTips

Most of us perform a clean install with an upgrade, it reduces the chance of perpetuating any problems from the old install. It's a matter of choice. You could back up your Home and then restore it to the new install.

May I say, if Grub Customizer is problematic, someone should either fix it or remove it from the repository.

You'd have to take that up with Fedora, but read on for more information.

Are firmware upgrades recommended? Is Lenovo Vantage good or just bloteware?

Tow questions for two separate Threads you could start. General Linux is possibly the best venue for those.

Wizard

I would like to know what issues Grub Customizer causes. I have used it to fix a problem in grub configuration and it worked flawlessly. So if it causes issues please tell me what they are so I can avoid those problems.

G'day @APTI - I have to take a 200km road trip imminently back in a couple of hours when you are likely catching zzz's.

You could start with reading this

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/grub-customizer.html

and I can expand on that when I get a chance.

Cheers

Wizard

Not typically, but you have them if you need them, I'd stick them i a file in a folder called eg FedoraUpgradeTips

Most of us perform a clean install with an upgrade, it reduces the chance of perpetuating any problems from the old install. It's a matter of choice. You could back up your Home and then restore it to the new install.

You'd have to take that up with Fedora, but read on for more information.

Tow questions for two separate Threads you could start. General Linux is possibly the best venue for those.

Wizard
I will start some new threads.
I wll also heed the warning about Grub Customizer. I know enough to get myself into trouble, but usually not enough to get out. Avoidance is better.
Thanks for the help.

G'day @APTI - I have to take a 200km road trip imminently back in a couple of hours when you are likely catching zzz's.

You could start with reading this

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/grub-customizer.html

and I can expand on that when I get a chance.

Cheers

Wizard
I took a look at the grub folder and wow it is messy. I understand what you mean now. fortunately my system is working fine at the moment. I may have to do a full new install on that system instead of an upgrade next time just to fix all that. I do hate doing it that way. I prefer to do upgrades so I do not have to reconfigure everything and reinstall everything.

Members online