File management

dovid

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I am currently using Asterisk (with my own code, no GUI) and I have users record messages such as "welcome to my mailbox". I currently use VPS's all over (AWS, Digital Ocean) as well as some of my own bare metal. I am looking for a solution to auto distribute the files to all the servers that need them. For example I currently have four groups of servers

Group 1:
Calling cards
Scanner line
Donation platform

Group 2:
Calling cards
News updates

Group 3:
News updates
Phone donations

Group 4:
Church by phone
Calling cards

When a recording is one on one server I want it to be pushed to all other servers that are in the same group. I looked at GlusterFS but it seems that it would not perform so well over the internet for my case. I prefer consistency over speed. Before I write my own software is there anything out there (paid or open source) where a server "sends up" a file, the location along with a group ID? Every other server would then connect to this central server, give it's group ID and verify that it has all files and makes sure that they are up to date with the latest files?

Have you looked into rsync, curl, wput, or scp ? Just copying the files is easy.
The "group ID" thing would have to be at an application level.

Have you looked at Ansible? Ansible is has the ability to use groups and do a lot with them. I don't know your app, Astrisk or what the acronym VPS is but if you can write simple scripts, Ansible could do it all for you with simple commands after initial setup. Ansible is a Redhat product and open source. No cost for it. If you were an enterprise they have a product they sell called Tower, but you don't need that it's just nice to have a GUI. I have Ansible installed at home to run apt-get updates on my home network. Just to show you how easy the scripting is, I'm pasting my update script below. I'm doing 3 things here, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and cleanup with autoremove and autoclean.
Code:
---

- name: Update Apps
   hosts: kubuntu

vars_files:
     - secret

tasks:
   - name: Update Cache
     become: true
     apt:
       force_apt_get: yes
       update_cache: yes