File not found in ubuntu (Firefox, it's alright in chrome but chrome sucks in ubuntu

balenshah

Reaction score
Credits
So here's what happens.

I boot on my computer.

I read pdfs located in other drives i.e D;, E;, F: drives where the OS isn't installed.

Then I either bookmark the pdf in bookmark or set the browser "open the last opened pages on startup".

Then I close the computer.

Now, I again start the computer next day.

Now the files don't open. It shows this error.

File not found

Firefox can’t find the file at /media/username/2A84B1604F54EF23/myfolder/myfile/mytopic/mysubtopic/mybookname.pdf.

Check the file name for capitalization or other typing errors.
Check to see if the file was moved, renamed or deleted.

Ofc, Neither the name is error, nor the file has been moved. That's why I'm asking the question.

How to fix this error?

Edit: The problem with chrome is that it absolutely suck in Ubuntu. So, please also give me a code terminal about how to download chromium browser for ubuntu. I'll uninstall chrome then.

G'day, Welcome to Linux.org

Some info might be handy...like, what OS are you running?

How long have you been using Linux?

G'day @balenshah and welcome to linux.org

(it's in Ubuntu Forum, Brian)

In order to open Firefox to display a file that is saved on your computer, you will first need to mount the drive or partition where the file/s is/are stored.

So you would first open your File Manager (Files aka Nautilus), click on

/media/username/2A84B1604F54EF23/

then open Firefox and try again.

2. Chromium

Try with, at Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install chromium-browser

It will probably install a version from the Snap Store if you are using Ubuntu 22.04, but as Brian asked, do tell us or we are flying blind.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Nite all

G'day @balenshah and welcome to linux.org

(it's in Ubuntu Forum, Brian)

In order to open Firefox to display a file that is saved on your computer, you will first need to mount the drive or partition where the file/s is/are stored.

So you would first open your File Manager (Files aka Nautilus), click on

/media/username/2A84B1604F54EF23/

then open Firefox and try again.

2. Chromium

Try with, at Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install chromium-browser

It will probably install a version from the Snap Store if you are using Ubuntu 22.04, but as Brian asked, do tell us or we are flying blind.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Nite all
yes all i needed was to mount. any easy code to automount it in startup?

You haven’t told us if you are using Ubuntu Desktop (GNOME) 22.04 codenamed ‘Jammy Jellyfish’, but I will work on the assumption that you are.

1. In “Show Applications” start to type in

Disks

and click on the entry, this opens GNOME Disks.

2. In Disks choose your device with the string 2A84B1604F54EF23 and click once, it will highlight. I am using my WD external in the screenshot.

UmAyGKz.png

SCREENSHOT 1

3. Once highlighted click the small cog (right of my cursor) with the Smart Tip

Additional partitions options

and once there, choose Edit mount options

4. Move the button for User Session Defaults back to the left, which will allow you to choose

5. Mount at system startup

6. OK the changes and exit

Your target device will mount in Real Time, and GNOME Disks modifies your /etc/fstab file to include it so that when you boot or reboot it will be mounted at startup.

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts