File-Open dialog box missing my data folders

TriggerDingus

Reaction score
Credits
I have a rookie question that I run into occasionally and I typically manage to work around it, but it's becoming a headache and I'd like to understand what the issue might be. Attached, you'll see the same Home folder - one is showing from GNOME Files and the other is a file open dialog box from XMind, a mind-map program. You'll notice nearly all my folders are missing as viewed through the XMind file open dialog so I'm unable to open the folder where my XMind files are located. As mentioned, I typically work-around this issue in this program as well as many others by temporarily moving the data file to one of the folders the program can 'see', but I'd rather fix what's going on so my file-open dialog boxes allow me access to all my data folders. Can someone school me on what's happening?
2021-08-15_17-17.png
2021-08-15_17-18.png

I’m not familiar with xmind. The only thing that initially occurs to me is that this might be some kind of permissions issue?!

If you open a terminal, which should bring you to your home folder and you type the command ls -l - is there any difference in the permissions for your "Documents" directory (which appears in xmind) and your "Music" directory (which does not appear in xmind)?!

Thanks for the engagement, JasKinasis. Your question is a good one and one I thought of, but the folders all have the exact same permissions save for the SyncThing folder, which actually has slightly more than the others. It's actually the SyncThing folder that these open dialogs can't see that I most need.
2021-08-16_13-18.png

Last edited:
So we can rule out permissions. Maybe it’s a deliberate 'feature' in xmind? Perhaps it only allows certain directories? Or only shows directories that contain certain types of files? Seems like a weird thing to do, but I don't know offhand of another cause... Odd!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts