File permission in Samba

abdulnawas

Reaction score
Credits
Dear All, I need a solution for the samba server, I have created a samba server. and added users to the samba server. I want users should not delete the files/folder, but able to edit and append the files. Is there any solution in the samba server?

hi abdulnawas,

We need more info. Anybody reading post will have to assume , so you have a Linux pc (server) and Windows clients.

That you have some sort of smb.conf ; the Windows clients are on the same network as the Linux PC and subnet ; there is a samba user created , and last time i used it a group and place on Linux PC that will share files. workgroup maybe setup on Windows PC .

So can you elaborate and share details of your smb.conf file etc

Moving this to General Server unless someone suggests a more appropriate place.

Cheers

Wizard

i'll be no help in this one - it's been probably 15yrs since I typed the word samba let alone used it :)
Now it's been 0 years since you typed the word samba :p

I don't use samba very often but I believe I know what you are looking for, it's best explained here. What you need to configure for your shares is that users are allowed to write and then also configure create mask and directory mask(Section: Creation Masks), works the same way as the normal filesystem umask which defines the default permissions for files and directories being created.

Last edited:

Staff online