File permissions

Jasonzo

Reaction score
Credits
The output of ls -l /media on my debian bullseye seems like this:

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 18 11:09 cdrom0
drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 Dec 22 11:47 jas
drwxr-x---+ 2 root root 4096 Dec 15 22:11 maels

If I try to write anything under jas or maels directories the operation is refused with a 'Read-only file system (30)' error.

Why?
What means the plus signal on the end of the file permissions?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Attachments

• system.txt
    27.7 KB · Views: 199

@Jasonzo I am new to Linux so you probably have already tried, but have you tried to change file permissions reboot and attempt to access?

Sorry I am not able to help you better, I am sure some of the gurus here will be able to offer some better ideas. Merry Christmas to you as well.

Are using a text editor to try to add to those files. If so it must be opened as root since the files are owned by root. Or you can change ownership to the user. in a terminal you would use the chown command. to do that.

What means the plus signal on the end of the file permissions?
The plus sign is part of the access control list (acl) system which enables finer control over file permissions than the ordinary read, write, execute (rws) permission system. Run: getfacl <some directory> to see the current acl state of that directory. The man page for acl is rather dense and I have no need for it, but somehow it looks like it's been used on your system. It can be altered and removed with: setfacl, which has options to change the settings.

Members online

Latest posts