File sharing

I installed Linux CNC on an older computer about a year ago. It came with debian wheezy. Everything works great but now I want to send CNC files to this computer from my desktop windows 10 computer where I build my g code files. I will try to describe my failures:

# apt-get install samba
#apt-get install samba-client

I go to my file system and click on "etc" and then "samba" then "smb.conf"
I make some minor changes and click "save"
I get the error message "Can't open file to write"

I'm sure you can tell that I know zero about Linux programming.

When I go to my Windows computer and look at the network, the linux computer does not show up in connected devices. If I log on to my router the linux computer shows up with the name debian.

That's where I am and it took all day to get here.

All I want to do is send g-code files from my Windows computer to the Linux computer.

Help would be appreciated.

Hello,

You need to use text editor with super-user privilegies to edit files inside /etc/ folder. I would recommend you to do this from console - you only need to enter there the sudo command behind the editor command. For example: sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf. You will be asked for your password and then, if the password will be entered properly, will be able to save changes to files inside /etc/.

Hello,

You need to use text editor with super-user privilegies to edit files inside /etc/ folder. I would recommend you to do this from console - you only need to enter there the sudo command behind the editor command. For example: sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf. You will be asked for your password and then, if the password will be entered properly, will be able to save changes to files inside /etc/.
Thanks Chuck but that issue had already been resolved. I was able to edit the file successfully.
When I gave up was when I was unable to even see the Linux computer from Windows let alone connect to it. I could ping it as well as see it if I logged on to the router but not from my Windows network window where everything else on that router shows up. Just not Linux.

Thanks Chuck but that issue had already been resolved. I was able to edit the file successfully.
When I gave up was when I was unable to even see the Linux computer from Windows let alone connect to it. I could ping it as well as see it if I logged on to the router but not from my Windows network window where everything else on that router shows up. Just not Linux.
Ah sorry for late reply, just got to my DM yesterday and replied right away, not realizing issue is resolved =/ Anyway good to know it has been resolved.

Ah sorry for late reply, just got to my DM yesterday and replied right away, not realizing issue is resolved =/ Anyway good to know it has been resolved.
The only issue that was resolved was how to edit that file. I'm still unable to file share.

Members online