File System Recommendation

Trogdor

Reaction score
Credits
I'm a new Linux convert. I left Windows (for my business computer) because of Microsoft's forced software updates (I lost A LOT of work from their infamous restarts) and because they force cloud services and they spy on you.

I'm in the process of implementing software RAID 1 (mirroring?). Currently the HDs are NTFS. I understand that I probably need to change the filesystem. So the question is which one? Ext4, ZFS, .... ?

My requirements are basic:
  • if a HD dies, I should be able to use a variety of tools to diagnose the HD including tools from HD manufacturers.
  • need "undelete" capability using only open source tools.
  • must be plug and play with Linux. I should be able to pull a HD, plug it into the SATA port of another computer, and it shows up with all files in tact.
  • Must be stable/mature. I need NTFS level reliability. I can't risk ever losing my small business data. There must be no history of data corruption or glitches.
  • Encryption of some kind is highly desired. However, I should be able to remove and install the HD into another Linux computer and mount it again with minimal effort.
  • Must have good documentation written for the Windows convert.
-
Desired:
  • Desire the ability to revert to a previous version of the file. NTFS had this capability.
  • Maximizes disk use by not wasting sectors/tracks with filesystem overhead. In Windows (NTFS) you can lose a lot of space if the cluster size is the default size and you have lots of little files.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Currently the HDs are NTFS. I understand that I probably need to change the filesystem.
You don’t have to chainge your disks NTFS is supported by distros like Ubuntu and for the other distros are driver available.

Members online

Latest posts