Firefox 57 aka Firefox Quantum

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Just a heads up to all whom use Firefox that Firefox 57 aka Firefox Quantum has just been released.

What impact does this have on me?

If you have Extensions (check under Tools-Addons and then click Extensions) that you use regularly, you may or may not have noticed over the last couple of months that a number of them got flagged with "Legacy".

That means with 57's release they were going to become redundant unless the authors came up with alternative updates to suit Quantum's release.

Here is a pic of mine as it stands.

GfAfdcF.png

DownThemAll and NoScript I use constantly. uBlock Origin seems OK.

So be aware, and if you have not established that your Faves will continue under the new release, perhaps best to exclude it from your Updates when it becomes available next couple of days.

I welcome input.

Wizard

Debian still uses the ESR (Extended Support Release) version of Firefox 54. So all of my older FF extensions still work!

I'm using Debian Testing though, so it may only be a matter of time before they switch to a newer version of FF. With any luck - by the time Debian do upgrade FF, most of the creators/maintainer of the extensions I use will have already done the work required to get their extensions to work with FF 57 onwards....

But I have seen the notifications about a few legacy FF extensions I'm using on my Windows PC at work.

Valid point Jas ;)

I have Debian on a couple of my computers, also a couple of other Distros that employ ESR just have to run through them.

Off topic but congrats to this fine site, we have passed the 6,000 members mark. I missed saying so at 5,000 so well done all you good people :D

Wizard

WOW this sucker is fast :cool: - FF 57 that is, just installed it on my Peppermint 8.

Look and feel is a little different, and in Addons, where our Extensions lie, there are several there and it prompts you regarding ones missing (more) - just got interrupted there as more options pop up - and it shows you the ones that did not make the grade and asks if you want to seek replacements?

I'll leave that until I see what the others are doing, as per Jas above.

Will bring you screenshots over the weekend.

But wow it is fast, twice as fast on first impressions

Cheers all

Wizard

I like Quantum so far... except the Search box seem quirky (if not using Google). I'll have to fiddle with it more as perhaps it is operator error. As you noted... FAST!

If y'all haven't tried it, you might like Vivaldi also. It's made by a former founder of Opera. Also very fast and has many configuration options available.

Cheers

Staff online