Firefox now shows ads as sponsored address bar suggestions.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

While this is spyware in the sense of Mozilla collecting data from you, you can thankfully turn this feature off. This is another example of them making dumb and desperate decisions to keep their dying company afloat. When they finally do kick the bucket, it'd be scary to imagine Google as the undisputed browser leader, because that gives them more power over the web. This is why there NEEDS to be replacements for Mozilla, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Amazon, Facebook, etc.

It's not too crappy, though it kinda sucks that they would seek profit there. In this case, at least it's opt-in and not opt-out.

Just use whatever browser that you hate the least.
Brave browser: They make money from Brave rewards.
Vivaldi: Not 100% open-source.
Other Chromium forks like Iridium browser are rarely being updated. Some of them are not open-source.
Firefox: This one and the snap issue.

Last edited:
Just use whatever browser that you hate the least.
Brave browser: The make money from Brave rewards.
Vivaldi: Not 100% open-source.
Other Chromium forks like Iridium browser are rarely being updated. Some of them are not open-source.
Firefox: This one and the snap issue.

Mozilla is done for when Firefox finally bites the dust, because that's their biggest product. It'd be like a wrecking ball knocking down a dilapidated building with one swing.

Well, looks like I was right to be primarily a Debian user. This shouldn't get into the Debian ecosystem easily. The package team will make sure of it.
That said, I think it be time to be jumping ship on Mozilla. Sorry but I be valuing freedom and thar be 2 reasons:
1) Inevitability of the borg snaps and flatpaks assimilating revolutionising Linux. FYI: This move could be to fight the freedom Linux offers. I mean govt hates freedom of speech, and so does Mozilla, govt likes spying on civilians, and so does Google... Do the fcking math. Ain't a conspiracy theory, it's a conspiracy fact.
2. Even suppose I am off my head, why TF should I support these wheezing sack of dcktips? I'm being complicit by using their software. One of my reasons for my change to Linux was ethics. If this shite goes much further, Imma go full FreeBSD. But I think Debian will weather the storm. They have a strict code which is why they're my main OS, I'll take the hassles over selling out for ease of use.

So sayo-fcking-nara Mozilla, Imma gonna get more fimiliar with LW and y'all can stick your browser where I told Google they could stick theirs.

Me hearties, let us promise we'll stay free even as the world shrinks and the winds die. We still got oars and we'll be rowing until the very end of that horizon of freedom until the bitter end. Now hoist the colours!

You can disable this so-called “feature”, so I don’t really see a problem with it.
I tend to block all adverts anyway, so it doesn’t really bother me!

And websites that use Adblock detecting scripts that nag me to re-enable ads just lose me as a user!

You can disable this so-called “feature”, so I don’t really see a problem with it.

I'd say it's slightly better than that. It's supposed to be opt-in and not opt-out, so you don't have to disable it - you need to only *not* enable it.

Agreed. While Mozilla made weird decisions lately, FF is still open-source and it can be hardened. Then, you can also use tools like Wireshark to monitor outgoing connections in case you are suspicious.

Restore Privacy, PrivacyTools.io, PrivacyGuides.org are recommending still it. So, I'm staying with Firefox as my main browser. Read Firefox hardening guides here (Restore Privacy) and here (Privacy Guides).

Well you can use Firefox-ESR or Palemoon you should be good for awhile

I actually use Chrome and Chromium. They just work. I don't mind being tied into Google's systems. I willingly cede privacy for efficiency, and both of those two browsers work very well. (Be sure to disable hardware acceleration if you do use them.)

I actually use Chrome and Chromium. They just work. I don't mind being tied into Google's systems. I willingly cede privacy for efficiency, and both of those two browsers work very well. (Be sure to disable hardware acceleration if you do use them.)

Do you use them to handle personal information (ex: banking, bill paying, e-shopping)?

Do you use them to handle personal information (ex: banking, bill paying, e-shopping)?

Shopping? Absolutely. I don't do much in the way of online banking and the only bills I pay online are for online things like streaming services.

However, I absolutely trust Google to not do anything with that information.

I absolutely trust Google to not do anything with that information.

Considering how Google is one of the most UNTRUSTWORTHY companies of all time, I find that answer absolutely hilarious. You must enjoy living under a rock.

What, exactly, do you think they'd do with my banking info?

I don't live under a rock, I live in reality.

No, no they're not gonna take my money. No, they're not going to go giving out that information.

Don't be silly. It's not an appealing look.

they're not going to go giving out that information.

Oh contrare!

While Google and other Big Tech companies did fire employees for data-mining and leaking info about their users, I imagine it was an attempt to avoid a PR disaster and media onslaught. Even then, it most-likely led to people divorcing themselves from those companies.

No, that's employees misusing data - not them giving it out. Nor is it Google taking money.

And, in that case, Google dealt with the bad actors. I'm perfectly fine with that outcome. Google didn't do it, rogue employees did it. That's able to happen anywhere. Trying to say Google did it is just disingenuous and not arguing in good faith.

I just don't go through life being paranoid. I (nor you) are really all that special. Google cares about you as an aggregate, not as a person.

More points regarding the topic:

Even if they were somehow able to find my banking information - what are they gonna do with it? I live in America, that's insured. I also don't keep much in the way of liquid assets, 'cause that's just silly and what people do when they're bad with money. So, if they took it the bank would just cover it and it's not gonna damage me in any meaningful way.

To keep on going, I could give you all my private information and you still couldn't access credit in my name. I keep that stuff locked. Fill out the forms and lock your credit. Even if you don't have money (especially if you don't have money) do that. Then, only unlock it when you're seeking a line of credit.

And no, if someone did manage to get credit issued in my name, I'm not actually obligated to pay for it. That's not how anything works. If someone opens credit in your name, just give 'em the finger if they try to collect from you. Hell, give 'em two fingers.

No, that's employees misusing data - not them giving it out.

And, in that case, Google dealt with the bad actors. I'm perfectly fine with that outcome. Google didn't do it, rogue employees did it. That's able to happen anywhere. Trying to say Google did it is just disingenuous and not arguing in good faith.

Leaking data is the same thing as giving it out. Whether it's Joe Schmoe doxxing his boss for firing him or some big company data-mining it's plethora of users, a person's information is being collected, which can easily be used for dangerous purposes. While I'll stand corrected about rogue employees misusing data, Google itself does give it out users' personal information to the NSA, as explained here: https://news.yahoo.com/google-facebook-cooperated-nsa-prism-145643099.html They could've chose to get into a huge legal battle with them over the ethics of doing this, but didn't. Instead, they bent the knee, and now they're known for producing spyware disguised as software. Those two reasons alone are enough to not trust them, especially when the Powers That Be are using that information to their advantage.

I just don't go through life being paranoid. I (nor you) are really all that special. Google cares about you as an aggregate, not as a person.

I wouldn't necessarily I'm paranoid, but I will say I'm careful about who I trust, because the person (or company in this case) who claims to "have your back" is guaranteed to backstab you though clever and manipulative ways. Obviously, I'd rather trust someone or some organization who knows what they're doing or talking about, stands firmly behind their principles, and can back up both though action. Thankfully, because I trust my gut, and I'm very good at observing people, I can pick up on their sketchiness and be less-likely to fall for their BS.

While you and I may not be special, it doesn't always take much to become that. Malcolm X came from a family of 8, living in foster care, living a juvenile detention home, being told by his teacher that he couldn't become a lawyer because he was black, working as a dishwasher, and being sentenced to prison for larceny. Despite all of that, he became one of the most influential figures in US history. Just imagine he much more influential he would've been if he was living in modern times and had access to the web to get his message across. Obviously, a person going from nothing to that is going to grab the attention of some powerful people and organizations (and he did because he was assassinated).

Staff online

Members online