Firefox screen artifacts

stratblue

Reaction score
Credits
Hi.

If I'm in Firefox and open a drop down menu that extends beyond the border of the browser window it leaves a bit of itself behind, sometimes flashing. Anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

IDK why it pokes out the window botders, but I can tell you the flickering is prob a rendering issue cozza graphics acceleration (can cause draw errors, sync errors, tesring, etc). Posting your specs and OS would help, but in the meantime:

Open a console:
Code:
sudo -i

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-<amd/nvidia/intel>.conf

// If the file does not exist, you'll be creating it and pasting below. Otherwise, just change AccelMethod to sna

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "<gpu id>"
    Driver      "<driver>"
    Option      "AccelMethod"     "sna"
EndSection

// Press Ctrl+o, then Ctrl+x
Logout of graphical mode completely and log back in or reboot.

Without any info, that's what comes to mind.

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. Haven't done much of this before so am I correct to assume that I enter everything in your code snippet apart from the lines preceded by the two slashes? Do I enter it all on one line together? I get root@compnAme then colon tilde hash is that correct?

I don't know how to to 'log out of graphical mode' either but it does sound like fun so I'm willing to give it a go. Thanks!

Okay, yeah, // are comments. I used C++ comment style as # can be confusing coz a lot of shells use # for root. Yes, each is line by line.

Lemme go through it a little easier...

Code:
sudo -i
apt-get install inxi -y
inxi -MCG

Please post the output of inxi. If you wanna try and proceed, check the spoiler tags (but still post the inxi output).

This is if you wanna try before we see exactly what's going on...

Code:
cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
ls -l
Look for a file with the name of your GPU (from inxi)...

If no such file exists, do the below commands. Otherwise skip this step.
Code:
echo 'Section "Device"' > 20-myGPU.conf
echo '    Identifier  "myGPU"' >> 20-myGPU.conf
echo '    Driver      "myDriver"' >> 20-myGPU.conf
echo '    Option      "AccelMethod"    "sna"' >> 20-myGPU.conf
echo 'EndSection' >> 20-myGPU.conf

If you find a file that matches your GPU name, edit it. Replace "myGPU.conf" with the actual file name:
Code:
sed -i 's/AccelMethod.*/"AccelMethod"    "sna"/' myGPU.conf

If you are confused, don't worry. Once you post the inxi output, things should be clearer. Reminder (lol):
inxi -MCG

*Typed on my Android phone +10 points for perfect formatting!

Last edited:
Okay, yeah, // are comments. I used C++ comment style as # can be confusing coz a lot of shells use # for root. Yes, each is line by line.

Lemme go through it a little easier...

Code:
sudo -i
apt-get install inxi -y
inxi -MCG

Please post the output of inxi. If you wanna try and proceed, check the spoiler tags (but still post the inxi output).

This is if you wanna try before we see exactly what's going on...

Code:
cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
ls -l
Look for a file with the name of your GPU (from inxi)...

If no such file exists, do the below commands. Otherwise skip this step.
Code:
echo 'Section "Device"' > 20-myGPU.conf
echo '    Identifier  "myGPU"' >> 20-myGPU.conf
echo '    Driver      "myDriver"' >> 20-myGPU.conf
echo '    Option      "AccelMethod"    "sna"' >> 20-myGPU.conf
echo 'EndSection' >> 20-myGPU.conf

If you find a file that matches your GPU name, edit it. Replace "myGPU.conf" with the actual file name:
Code:
sed -i 's/AccelMethod.*/"AccelMethod"    "sna"/' myGPU.conf

If you are confused, don't worry. Once you post the inxi output, things should be clearer. Reminder (lol):
inxi -MCG

*Typed on my Android phone +10 points for perfect formatting!
Sorry for the late reply, I aready replied to this and it seems to have vanished.
Code:
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z490 UD v: x.x serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: American Megatrends
           v: F5 date: 08/28/2020
CPU:       Topology: 8-Core model: Intel Core i7-10700K bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 16.0 MiB
           Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/5100 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 4: 801 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800
           9: 800 10: 800 11: 800 12: 800 13: 800 14: 800 15: 800 16: 800
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] driver: nvidia v: 470.63.01
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.11 driver: nvidia unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1200~60Hz
           OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.63.01

Okay, you have 2 graphics chips; an iGPU (intel) and discrete (nvidia) one. The simplest solution would be to go proprietary here. Just install the "nvidia-driver" package:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver -y

The package will handle the X11 configs and blacklist the intel graphics driver. It will also handle everything better than the nouveau driver (which will be blacklisted too). Reboot and it should work...

...If not, well, then we'll be probing around for quite a while. Good luck.

Okay, you have 2 graphics chips; an iGPU (intel) and discrete (nvidia) one. The simplest solution would be to go proprietary here. Just install the "nvidia-driver" package:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver -y

The package will handle the X11 configs and blacklist the intel graphics driver. It will also handle everything better than the nouveau driver (which will be blacklisted too). Reboot and it should work...

...If not, well, then we'll be probing around for quite a while. Good luck.

Thanks for that. I have had to pull the card for now due to issues being discussed on another thread here and it still happens when I have the monitor plugged into the MB HDMI output too.

Uninstall all the nVidia drivers. Try putting the card back in and installing the 460 driver. You have an ancient card and there may have been issues in the older driver that are patched in 460. Here's a link to the Debian (upon which Ubuntu and children are based) for the 460 driver:
Use dpkg -i <name of .deb file>. You may have to apt-get the additional dependencies or download and manually install them. You have nothing to lose. If that fails, just rollback your system (obviously you'll snapshot it before all this) and we'll go from there.

Staff online

Members online