Firefox Update

mechi

Reaction score
Credits
I recently installed linux mint 8.1 (Serena) xfce desktop on my netbook. I would like to update firefox to a newer version, there is an update for firefox available in the update manager that says "71.0 + linuxmint2 + sylvia" What does that mean, would I be upgraded to a newer version of linux as well? I don't want to upgrade the OS because the one I just installed works quite well, I only want to update firefox.

Yes I saw that page when searching more info about Unbuntuzilla but I don't understand any of it. I don't know how to use the terminal and am not familiar with any of its commands.

Is there a particular reason you need the very latest Firefox ?version

Experience tells me the version of Firefox running in Linux mint 18.3 works just fine and does not expose you to any known nasties etc etc The Linux people are aware of the 'nasty' which affected FF 71 (I think) and have held off updating to that one for obvious reasons.......the update to FF72 etc will come soon enough. Rest assured you will not be served up a 'nasty' version as the windows followers were.

It could be more beneficial to you to learn the ins and outs of Timeshift. It will save your install if something does go wrong, whether it be by some update going sideways or by some mistake you make yourself. :)

Last edited:
No I don't necessarily need the latest Firefox but I would like a newer version because some secure websites won't allow logins if the browser is too old. I think the one I have installed is 50.1

What I really would like to know is what does "71.0 + linuxmint2 + sylvia" mean? Could anyone explain? I know 71.0 is the firefox version but what's linuxmint2+sylvia? What would happen if I tried to install the update , would my linux be bumped up to mint 18.3? I have installed mint 8.1 and want to keep it since it's running just fine with my 1gig of ram netbook.

The best advice is to leave well enough alone and install the updates when they are ready to install.

If you have a working Linux Mint why not stay with a sure thing.

Many unwise unknowing Linux users have broken their perfectly good working Linux Distro by being impatient.

When the updates are ready they will become available.

An update is ready it's Firefox 71.0 + linuxmint2 + sylvia I want to know what that means

1. Are you sure you have Linux 8.1 ?....maybe 18.1 ?
To check which version...click on menu (bottom left hand corner) and type in Welcome........your version etc of Linux will be shown on the resulting screen.

2. installing the available FF update will do just that....update Firefox....nothing else
Please remember this is LINUX you are talking about....not Windows. Linux does not do that sort of underhanded crap like upgrading your Operating System via stealth mode !!

3. The updates for Firefox browser are carefully combed for problems before they are released. You will only get tested updates via the update manager in Linux. The mention of Sylvia tells it is suited to that particular family release of Linux. Dont worry too much if you are accessing this via the Update Manager....it wikll only point updates at your PC that are suitable for it. (Remember.....this is NOT windows )

4. It is doubtful you are running Firefox 50.1 Check by clicking on the 'hambuger' icon in the top right hand corner of any firefox page (three small horizontal lines).....then go down to 'help'.....then select 'about firefox' it will show you the version number there

Please post back with that info......Linux version etc and Firefox version....we can sort you out from there.

I'm sorry yes it's 18.1

Thats good news. I am running 18.3 ....... Stable as a rock

Install all your updates

I never pick and choose between updates. I figure the good people over at Linux know way better than I do.....I simply install everything, and have never regretted doing that. Doing the upgrade from 18.1 to 18.3 was also a good move. You will get to it in time.

Welcome to the wonderfully simple world of Linux.

I'm just afraid upgrading the OS might make my netbook run slower. I picked 18.1 because the specs recommended 1 g of ram whereas on 18.3 I think the recommendation is 2 gigs.

Stick with what you are comfortable with. :)

Okay thanks. So if I do the firefox update only firefox will update and I won't get upgraded to "sylvia", right?

Thats correct.

Upgrading to Sylvia is a whole different process.

Search Results
Featured snippet from the web
Launch the System Upgrade by clicking on “Edit->Upgrade to Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia”. Follow the instructions on the screen. If asked whether to keep or replace configuration files, choose to replace them. Once the upgrade is finished, reboot your computer.Nov 27, 2017

To guard against dramas.......Timeshift is your best friend. Just have a read of this for now

Dont be put off by the apparent complexity....it is far simpler than it looks.
Seeing you are on a Netbook , you may have limited space....so it would be better to have an external hard drive connected via USB to hold the Timeshift snapshots. It is easily possible to limit the number of snapshots that Timeshift takes......it is very configurable.

(https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift)

(To install, open Terminal....copy and paste each line separately and hit enter after each line)

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/timeshift
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install timeshift

Timeshift

Timeshift for Linux is an application that provides functionality similar to the System Restore feature in Windows and the Time Machine tool in Mac OS. Timeshift protects your system by taking incremental snapshots of the file system at regular intervals. These snapshots can be restored at a later date to undo all changes to the system.

In RSYNC mode, snapshots are taken using rsync and hard-links. Common files are shared between snapshots which saves disk space. Each snapshot is a full system backup that can be browsed with a file manager.

In BTRFS mode, snapshots are taken using the in-built features of the BTRFS filesystem. BTRFS snapshots are supported only on BTRFS systems having an Ubuntu-type subvolume layout (with @ and @home subvolumes).

Timeshift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.

Members online