Firejail help please.

keith 1955

Reaction score
Credits
New to Linux using Ubuntu Bionic Beaver, have been advised to add Firejail as extra security.
Installed from link given but found Firefox was unable to connect to internet, managed to google problem and uninstalled from Terminal. Then tried from Activities/software but not sure of how to open install programs from here. any help or ideas pleas.
Remember i am new to Linux so simple language please.
Thanks.
Keith.

I run Linux Mint 18.3, and only use the add ons i listed in your original topic.

I find that firejail is listed in mint's Software Manager....this area will be on Ubuntu, although under another name. (activities/software maybe?)

I explore the internet rather broadly...meaning I go to a lot of places that I probably should not....and I remain safe.

Use firejail by all means if you feel you have a need for it......BUT...make sure you have Timeshift set up and active BEFORE you do that. The feedback given to fiejail would leave me feeling more than a little unsure.

Timeshift will give you the ability to perform a 'system restore'....it does work

Hello Condobloke.

Thanks for the reply and i will take on board your suggestions from previous post.
i suppose it's always a fault with beginners to try doing to much without actually knowing the system and what the pitfalls are.

if your browing falls into the "usual" category...facebook, youtube, news sites, banking, forums, normal activity......you will be quite safe with the add ions I listed at the other topic.

The malwarebytes addon is a good one...and Firefox does a good job also.

I frequent torrent sites which are notorious....but I do stay away from the types of downloads that always cause trouble (music etc)

I download music from youtube via "youtube to mp3 button" add on. It works really well... no disappointments thus far

Just be sure to set up Timeshift. It really is worth the bit of trouble.
Timeshift works best when you are backing up to an external hard drive......it can take up quite a bit of space, depending on how many "snapshots" of your system you save.

If you run in to bother figuring it out....just yell out.

open the command terminal and copy and paste these commands to remove firejail.

sudo apt remove --purge firejail

press enter and enter password press enter

sudo apt autoremove

press enter

will remove all traces of firejail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The version of Firejail from the repos doesn't work for new versions of Firefox.

Once firejail is installed it can be run from the command terminal by entering this command.

firejail firefox

It can be started by changing the command from the properties of the app / software wanting to be run.

Perhaps this may explain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online