Firewall turns itself off....(SOLVED).

SeanK

Reaction score
Credits
Running Arch derivative EndeavourOS. Have noticed the firewall keeps turning itself off. Have run sudo ufw enable and
sudo ufw status which states its "active" but then I check on it again, a couple of log off/in's later and its off, again.

Anyone else experienced this?

Now how did you teach it to do that?

Kidding.

I have Endeavour, so I'll take a look on my tomorrow.

If we get stuck, the developer is a Member here, and we can ask.

Wizard

Running Arch derivative EndeavourOS. Have noticed the firewall keeps turning itself off. Have run sudo ufw enable and
sudo ufw status which states its "active" but then I check on it again, a couple of log off/in's later and its off, again.

Anyone else experienced this?

Have a read.

I believe Endeavour uses firewalld not ufw
To enable the firewalld service
Code:
sudo systemctl enable --now firewalld.service
GUI is available as firewall-config which comes with firewalld package.

I don't remember what it comes with by default I just posted what the OP ask about.

I believe earlier version used UFW/GUFW.

I'm using GUFW but installed mine awhile back.

According to this Firewalld is installed as default.

New features and fixes on the installed system:

• FirewallD is enabled – Each Apollo installation has FirewallD already installed and enabled after install.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't remember what it comes with by default I just posted what the OP ask about.

I believe earlier version used UFW/GUFW.

I'm using GUFW but installed mine awhile back.

According to this Firewalld is installed as default.

New features and fixes on the installed system:

• FirewallD is enabled – Each Apollo installation has FirewallD already installed and enabled after install.

This is the problem with distro hopping, everyone does things a little differently. Hey thanks, I'll take a look and see what the story is.

I believe Endeavour uses firewalld not ufw
To enable the firewalld service
Code:
sudo systemctl enable --now firewalld.service
GUI is available as firewall-config which comes with firewalld package.
Hey many thanks. Its already installed and hopefully working. More complex than what I am used to? Not sure how to check its status, I'll do a read up there.

Kidding.

Wizard
All solved, thanks again to everyone for their kind help. This is what happens when you change distro's....LOL.

Kidding.

Wizard
Is there some way to close off the thread and mark it solved? Ignore that question, sorted.

Hey many thanks. Its already installed and hopefully working. More complex than what I am used to? Not sure how to check its status, I'll do a read up there.
This should explain what you need to know.

Generally installed firewalls are set to Default settings which usually are enough or have always been for my use.

Is there some way to close off the thread and mark it solved? Ignore that question, sorted.

Adding the (solved) bit is adequate. We don't close threads, as a general rule.

Nice work, all :)

Wiz

Just for your(@SeanK) information, it's Linux you don't have to use what's installed by default of any distribution. You can remove firewalld and install ufw if you prefer to use that, you have choice of what you want to use.

Just for your(@SeanK) information, it's Linux you don't have to use what's installed by default of any distribution. You can remove firewalld and install ufw if you prefer to use that, you have choice of what you want to use.
Thanks. I'm not too fussed, just so long as it works. I am more familiar with UFW as most of my laptops are LMDE. Only one is Arch.

Members online