First Linux Box, help with hardware compatibility

AMFA

Reaction score
Credits
Hello and thank you for taking time to assist me. I am attempting to build my first Linux Desktop (currently wife and I are Mac users) I would like something that would be able to edit and render video as my wife does a fair amount of this. I was looking and reading up but I am confused on what hardware will work together with Linux and what may be a good distro for her. I was thinking elementary as it seems to resemble Mac but would welcome any suggestions. Would a Integrated Graphics hip be ok or is it best to have a GPU? Would the below listed parts be acceptable for what im attempting to do? Would welcome any recommendations, guidance, or assistance.

Computer Parts List:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

AMD Radeon Pro WX 3200 4 GB Video Card

Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case

Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor

Elementary OS is a good Distro for macOS users. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/best-linux-distros-mac/

2021-10-30_09-31.png

An integrated GPU is good for light video and graphic rendering, both of my laptops use integrated GPUs. If you are planning on doing intensive video and graphic rendering you should use a dedicated GPU.

You can check these sites for good GPUs:
https://www.cgdirector.com/best-gpu-for-editing-rendering/
https://pcmecca.com/best-graphics-cards-for-3d-rendering-and-modeling/

You'd have to research your hardware to see if Linux supports it.

you won't need the radeon with the the Ryzen, but you will need the latest hardware support for the Ryzen,
Ryzen are good for gaming, [but expensive]

as for a hash n'mac desktop there are a couple available you don't need to install a distribution because it has one but you can install virtually any linux desktop on any linux build.

we are still waiting for the formal release but I would suggest MX20-ahs [the final release candidate is available for testing] full release should come shortly

you won't need the radeon with the the Ryzen, but you will need the latest hardware support for the Ryzen,
Ryzen are good for gaming, [but expensive]

as for a hash n'mac desktop there are a couple available you don't need to install a distribution because it has one but you can install virtually any linux desktop on any linux build.

we are still waiting for the formal release but I would suggest MX20-ahs [the final release candidate is available for testing] full release should come shortly
@brickwizard Thank you, would you have any better recommendations for any other components I listed? Thank you for responding I really appreciate it.

would you have any better recommendations
not really you are obviously building a gaming machine [I am not a gamer but granddaughter is] the only other comment is some ssd's can give install problems but then some of our members are ace at talking you through the necessary steps

not really you are obviously building a gaming machine [I am not a gamer but granddaughter is] the only other comment is some ssd's can give install problems but then some of our members are ace at talking you through the necessary steps
Actually not building a gaming machine just needed something that could be able to render video I just (probably incorrectly) assumed if it was good enough for gaming it would be good enough for video editing etc..

in that case you may consider an Intel Core i7-11700K processor with an AMD Radeon graphics card
performance is much of a muchness and Radeon cards have good linux suport

Just an update in case this may help someone. I built my machine with the below:
ASUS ROG STRIX B550XE GAMNG WiFi (motherboard)
ACERAC 28" IPS CB282K (Monitor)
LOGITECH Z213 MULTIMEDIA (Speakers)
AMD AMD RYZEN 7 5800X (CPU Without cooler)
COOLMAST HYPER 212 RGB BLK (Cooler)
EVGA 850GA 80+G FM ATX (PSU, I went a little larger then I needed)
THERMALAKE VIEW 31 RGB TG ATX (Case)
SAMSUNG E 2TB 970EVO+NVME M.2 SSD (Hard Drive)
CRUCIAL 64GB 32X2D4 3200CL RGB (RAM)
GIGABYTE GTX1650 WINDFORCE OC (Graphics Card)

I am running Ubunto desktop, and I used Gnome Tweaks and some online tutorials on setting up so it worked for me. So far the only issue I have had is sometimes Ill get no signal on the monitor. Not sure why, i checked the card, cable, and monitor. If i reset it, seems to be fine.

I did have to flash the bios before loading the OS, was pretty easy.

Attachments

• PC1.jpeg
    PC1.jpeg
    336.5 KB · Views: 188
  • pc2.jpeg
    pc2.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 201
  • pc3.jpeg
    pc3.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 203
  • pc4.jpeg
    pc4.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 196
  • pc5.jpeg
    pc5.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 179
  • pc6.png
    pc6.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 210
Looking good,
I hope your good lady takes to Linux after your hard work, any problems you can't solve , do ask with the wide ranging knowledge across our members we can help with most you may come across.

Bwiz

Members online

Latest posts