First Time Building a PC Need input on specs.

Linuxen100

Reaction score
Credits
Hello there,

I am looking to build a custom pc I have never done so before so this will be my first time. I heard Microcenter is a good place to find decent prices for parts. Looking at ones on amazon that fit my needs as a reference because I don't know how to pick parts from scratch I came across this one.
Asus ROG Strix Gaming Desktop, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super Graphics, 64GB RAM, 2TB PCIe SSD + 8TB HDD, HDMI, RJ45, DisplayPort, VGA, Windows 11 Home

The purpose of this desktop primarily will be to run Stable Diffusion & my own personal NextCloud server. The secondary purpose of this pc will be for gaming for playing at the max graphics settings & running servers for games like Terraria, Starbound, & 7 Days to Die. I would like to replicate the specs above but I know there is better like AMD Ryzen 9 & probably something higher the the gtx 1650.

This custom desktop will be my linux only pc & if I have to run another os for any reason it will be in a vm. The goal though for me is to have Stable Diffusion run as smooth as possible & generate images as fast as possible. I'm also looking forward to playing with the soon coming text to video generater.

So knowing this I am most likely going to go for a bigger SSD then 2TB because the models, vaes, textual inversion, hypernetwork, & lora all together can be pretty huge as models & vaes run between 4-9GB each. My question is do you think these specs are good enough to replicate? I know upgrade the AMD from 7 to 9, the SSD from 2TB to something bigger, & the secondary 8TBHD in there is optional I would up it to a SDD probably have that second one hold all the game stuff in it.

I'm looking to save $ if there is a better website to get the parts cheaper but I am willing to spend the extra money for performance since that's the purpose of this i'm not looking to cut corners on cpu & gpu. As a first timer of building a custom PC I really appreciate everyones input & pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:

Yes, Micro Center is a very good place to purchase hardware for a brand new build.

I've purchased all the hardware and cases there twice and both of the builds I put together and installed Linux were successful.

The experience I have had with Amazon is if you purchased merchandise from them and you are not satisfied with it you have to drive to your local UPS center to return it to them. It has to be a full UPS Service Center.

Also, Amazon sends you a code to your phone that the UPS Center will need to send it back to Amazon. You can also call them and they will send you an e-mail so you can print out your own label to return the item and drive it to your local post office or UPS.

New Egg can be really high priced but if you can catch a sale it may pay off.

You may want to provide links to the motherboard, CPU, GPU, SSD and etc. that you are considering for your build.
Carefully select your GPU.

I'm saying that for a reason. Installing the Nvidia drivers for Linux can be hard to understand but doable. If not done correctly when the system upgrades the kernel you will have to install the driver again.
**You should be able to install the driver through the package manager.**
@f33dm3bits would know more about this as it was he that I went to in order to understand how to install a Nvidia driver.

Putting all of the games and things associated with gaming on a drive all it's own is wise.

I've had a look at Stable Diffusion myself and it looks good.

Is Starbound and Terraria Steam games or Windows games?

What Linux distro will you be installing?

Attachments

• 1676295333839.gif
    1676295333839.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 135
Sorry, I didn't see the link under the beginning of your post as the lettering was small.

This pc that you linked has already been built.....

You said that you are looking to build a custom pc.
Did I misunderstand? OR> did you want to purchase the exact CPU and GPU on that Asus ROG Strix?

Yes, Micro Center is a very good place to purchase hardware for a brand new build.

I've purchased all the hardware and cases there twice and both of the builds I put together and installed Linux were successful.

The experience I have had with Amazon is if you purchased merchandise from them and you are not satisfied with it you have to drive to your local UPS center to return it to them. It has to be a full UPS Service Center.

Also, Amazon sends you a code to your phone that the UPS Center will need to send it back to Amazon. You can also call them and they will send you an e-mail so you can print out your own label to return the item and drive it to your local post office or UPS.

New Egg can be really high priced but if you can catch a sale it may pay off.

You may want to provide links to the motherboard, CPU, GPU, SSD and etc. that you are considering for your build.
Carefully select your GPU.

I'm saying that for a reason. Installing the Nvidia drivers for Linux can be hard to understand but doable. If not done correctly when the system upgrades the kernel you will have to install the driver again.
@f33dm3bits would know more about this as it was he that I went to in order to understand how to install a Nvidia driver.

Putting all of the games and things associated with gaming on a drive all it's own is wise.

I've had a look at Stable Diffusion myself and it looks good.

Is Starbound and Terraria Steam games or Windows games?

What Linux distro will you be installing?
When it comes to motherboards I really don't know lick about them so I am not sure which one to pick for the job. If you can help me pick one that can handle everything I really appreciate it. Terraria & Starbound are both windows games & on steam.

I am going to install linux mint because I tried that first & works great but if ubuntu is better for compatability i'll go with that. Also next cloud i've seen installation guides for ubuntu but I want to put it on mint which isn't that just a deviation of ubuntu so the steps are the same? I heard ubuntu has a lot of bloat or extra packages prebundled that you may not want or need running extra services.

Stable Diffusion is awesome I got it on my win laptop which it works fine but my pc sucks in specs so it takes 45mins to generate a simple pic at 512x512 on the default model. I have a bunch of custom models & it takes longer with them but they are beautiful when they come out.

Install Nvidia drivers is quite easy now days, on Ubuntu easier than on Fedora but not hard either on Fedora. On Fedora you add the rpmfusion repo and then install it from there and on Ubuntu you can select it from the a driver manager where you can select what to install because the Nvidia driver there is in the default repos.

I am going to install linux mint because I tried that first & works great but if ubuntu is better for compatability i'll go with that. Also next cloud i've seen installation guides for ubuntu but I want to put it on mint which isn't that just a deviation of ubuntu so the steps are the same? I heard ubuntu has a lot of bloat or extra packages prebundled that you may not want or need running extra services.

Sorry, I didn't see the link under the beginning of your post as the lettering was small.

This pc that you linked has already been built.....

You said that you are looking to build a custom pc.
Did I misunderstand? OR> did you want to purchase the exact CPU and GPU on that Asus ROG Strix?
Like I said I never built a custom pc before so I looked that one up as a reference because that was the first thing that came up with 64GB ram. If you read the rest of what I said I asked if this config is worth replicating thats why I mentioned the Ryzen 9 & the drive changes. I wouldn't know off the top of my head what to look for when building from scratch so I try to find something to replicate & improve.

I'm not looking to purchase the pc it's got windows on it.

Like I said I never built a custom pc before so I looked that one up as a reference because that was the first thing that came up with 64GB ram. If you read the rest of what I said I asked if this config is worth replicating thats why I mentioned the Ryzen 9 & the drive changes. I wouldn't know off the top of my head what to look for when building from scratch so I try to find something to replicate & improve.

I'm not looking to purchase the pc it's got windows on it.
Understood.

With heavy gaming you could go with a Asus Gaming motherboard.
Yes, I can help you find the motherboard, CPU, GPU, RAM, Power Supply and etc....if you'd like to build your own.

I'm not sure if those Windows games are available on Steam with Linux.
The good news is you can log into your Steam account and see if they have the Linux or Steam symbol showing that they are compatible with Linux or not.

With running Stable Diffusion on Linux you'll have to configure the AMD GPU.
That much I've learned from the man I talked to running Stable Diffusion on YouTube running Linux.
I would imagine that a Nvida GPU would have to be configured too. Notice I said: 'imagine'-

Will you be doing heavy gaming to the point where you will really have to push the GPU?

Do you want a CDROM drive or just a pc case that's only usb friendly?

I'm not sure if those Windows games are available on Steam with Linux.
The good news is you can log into your Steam account and see if they have the Linux or Steam symbol showing that they are compatible with Linux or not.
You can enable Proton for all Steam games, see attachment and you have the to check the compatibility status.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213_160636.png
    Screenshot_20230213_160636.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 146
Install Nvidia drivers is quite easy now days, on Ubuntu easier than on Fedora but not hard either on Fedora. On Fedora you add the rpmfusion repo and then install it from there and on Ubuntu you can select it from the a driver manager where you can select what to install because the Nvidia driver there is in the default repos.
Easy yeah, but for me i have to go tty to update and install. Screen keeps flickering so much even on install from USB, can't see almost nothing

Read the specs and reviews for the Asus ROG Strix X670-E Gaming mobo.

You plan on using multiple M.2 SSDs.

The review on Amazon said he installed Ubuntu and the wifi is problematic. However this is just one man.

Next up is the Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master.
I'll read up and post the findings later on this evening.

Uhh i'm confused you sent a link about samsung galaxy wallpapers what does that have to do with building a custom desktop?

Read the specs and reviews for the Asus ROG Strix X670-E Gaming mobo.

The review on Amazon said he installed Ubuntu and the wifi is problematic. However this is just one man.
These all say Ryzen 7 I know the reference above had that but I did say I was looking to upgrade from this because Ryzen 9 is out & 9 is better then 7 unless i'm mistaken.

So wouldn't I want to look at this?

Uhh i'm confused you sent a link about samsung galaxy wallpapers what does that have to do with building a custom desktop?
Probably a copy/paste error.

These all say Ryzen 7 I know the reference above had that but I did say I was looking to upgrade from this because Ryzen 9 is out & 9 is better then 7 unless i'm mistaken.

So wouldn't I want to look at this?
Sorry, I copied and pasted the wrong url-

The AMD Ryzen 9 5900X is good if that's the CPU that you would like to purchase.
Just ensure that it is supported on the gaming mobo of your choice.

This MSI MEG B550 Unify-X looks really good, Linuxen 100-*-

The AMD Ryzen 9 5900X will work well with this mobo. Here's the list:

Members online

Latest posts