First time Linux users

Ellen-Marije

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

I just got a new pc at work and it happens to run at Linux. So far I've never used Linux, so I'm still learning everything.
I've already been reading some information regarding the system and the differtent distributions, I've also read the links in the sticky post in this Getting Started section.

However, I still have one question. Since Linux came with my pc, does this also mean that there is already a distribution installed? Or do I need to install this myself?
I guess it's a silly question, but can't seem to find the answer myself. Perhaps good to know; the pc is a HP Thinpro t7x70015.

Thank you in advance!

This is new on me, @Ellen-Marije , and welcome to linux.org :)

What is HP ThinPro?
A modern, secure, and intuitive Linux® computing experience. Deliver secure desktop virtualization that's as comfortable for IT as it is for end users with the stunningly reimagined HP Thin Pro. Industry leadership with Linux and. HP. The HP ThinPro operating system is based on the standard Linux kernel.

... is all I know, for now.

I have to leave for my Tuesday evening, back tomorrow, hope someone else is familiar with it.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day Ellen, and Welcome to linux.org

There is no such thing as a silly question.......there only questions which you dont have the answer to.....yet.

How did you establish that Linux came with your PC ?...were you told this by someone else, or has the PC booted up and the screen says....'Linux.."....?

If the screen/desktop actually says Linux....then there is a good chance that the OS is already installed.

A harder question would be....which Linux?....

First things first...my question in blue...

How did you establish that Linux came with your PC ?...were you told this by someone else, or has the PC booted up and the screen says....'Linux.."....?
Well, after I booted up the PC, the initial setup started and I didn quite recognize the OS installed. So I have been searching for the PC type/serial number and that's when I came across a HP page telling me that it should be Linux. But as @arochester mentioned, I guess it's a special HP Linux OS. So I don think this gives me all of the freedom Linux offers. (http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/4aa5-3023enw)

For now it works fine for me, since my work is cloud based (Citrix) I won't need much from my PC. However, I wanted to install some programs like Spotify and Teamviewer and I can't seem to manage something as easy as installing a program. The PC doesn't seem to come with an app store (or something like that) and if I have understood it correctly, installing programs via the terminal is only possible if you know what distribution is currently running. (So you know what command to use)

So if you were to tap menu....then type in system info........the result should tell you all about the OS

I am slowly but surely beginning to reach the same conclusion as arochester's above.....

The lack of practical information about the OS bears this out as well.

Is there any chance that you have a friendly sys admin who would do install/make available a small range of programs (spotify etc) for the staff using those HP's ?

@arochester @Condobloke I think you're right indeed. Unfortunately, we're a rather small company, so we have no IT department whatsoever. Currently I'm the only one working with this PC. We indeed work with a server where all of the programs run which I need for my daily job. but in order to install programs within that server, I need to contact the third party who manages this server for us. So that's not so convenient. Thank you guys for your help anyway!

It would be handy to know which version of HP ThinPro you are using.

If you enter Terminal and type and enter

Code:
inxi -S

... here's an example of mine

chris@TessaCinnamon-SSD:~$ inxi -S
System:
Host: TessaCinnamon-SSD Kernel: 4.15.0-62-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa

My highlighting - yours might say eg ThinPro 6.1, ThinPro 7.0 etc.

If inxi is not installed, the output may tell you how to install.

Cheers

Wiz

I am also a Linux beginner as I study to try to resurrect old hardware and light OS load new hardware in both high speed networks and slow speed fringe zones for myself and others not able to spend big bucks on new PCs.

One of the I.T guys in the sector I retired from told me that he was using master load media to load PCs with Linux to maximize in house infrastructure security, he said the only problem they were experiencing were the MSW trained staff not understanding that just as they learned a new windows desktop periodically, the Linux desktop is just another desktop shell to learn.

When loaded with the Linux OS, it should boot into it unless it is set as a dual boot PC.

Since it is a PC at work, if you find yourself unsure, call your department I.T. guy because every one of them I knew all told me they preferred spending a few minutes answering or getting ready to study a problem than hours rebooting networks.

You mention that you work in a small company. The I.T. /sys admin guy I know told me that he caught a moonlight gig last year to Linux convert a small company that scored a sub contract from a prime contractor that required they use a Linux infrastructure to get the sub contract

MS and Apple lulled generations into comfort zones by use of excessive advertising and master load deals with manufacturers and corporate infrastructure system admin departments, but Linux quietly continued to develop the Unix like server and terminal infrastructures as the old slide rule carrying software engineers before them.

This Wikipedia article shows indication of the many large scale users stepping back to Unix like safety with Linux in the current environment.

The Linux OS conversions I have succeeded in making so far have all had tools included and if you have a friendly system admin you can speak to, they should be happy to walk you through it.

Members online

Latest posts