Fix broken VeraCrypt installation

RazorEdge

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys! Newbie here, apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I'm trying to install VeraCrypt on Debian 11 but am having some issues.

I downloaded the Debian 11 GUI .deb file from https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Downloads.html
1.jpg

I tried to install it, however It says there are dependency issues and I need the libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5 package.

2.jpg

If I open Synaptic package manager it says the veracrypt package is broken.

3.jpg

I would like to either fix the installation by installing the correct package or completely reverse the installation and remove all the packages I installed.

Could you advise how to proceed?

Thanks! :)

Usually if one installs with apt, it installs the dependencies as well:
Code:
apt install <program-name>.deb
You could use the purge option to remove everything of the program that you have already installed:
Code:
dpkg purge <program-name>.deb
and then run the apt command.

Code:
You could use the purge option to remove everything of the program that you have already installed:
Code:
don't forget to cd to the folder where you downloaded the deb package

use your synaptic package manager and install the missing dependencies in the search block type in
libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5
1.png

Then install it - as you can see from my machine I have it installed already

stellaris wrote:
don't forget to cd to the folder where you downloaded the deb package
Yes, of course, and it's quite clear from the image the OP provided in post #1 that he's on the ball in relation to that. Another installing application which is a bit less terse and provides a bit more info and a safe option for installing is aptitude.

Last edited:
Code:
Code:
Thanks for the help everyone. I tried this, but apparently I can't purge the packages using the file I installed them from; I need to purge them individually. See screenshot. How can I ascertain what packages I've installed from the .deb file?

4.jpg

The error message indicates that you should just run the package name, so see if this works:
Code:
dpkg --purge veracrypt

To see the files in a .deb package run:
Code:
dpkg -c <package>.deb

To correct the commands in post #2, dpkg uses the option "--purge" whereas apt uses "purge".

Thanks again Osprey and Boltar. I've run both of your suggestions, I think I've removed all the packages. I appreciate it!
5.png

RazorEdge wrote:
Thanks again Osprey and Boltar. I've run both of your suggestions, I think I've removed all the packages. I appreciate it!

Looks good. Thanks for getting back on it.

Members online

Latest posts