Fixing (or even undoing) Problematic Update Attempt

Status
Not open for further replies.

js10

Reaction score
Credits
So as some of you may know from another thread, I recently tried to deal with an issue of my Linux system intermittently freezing by running a large number of updates, and it didn't go well. While I did manage to retain some access, it's in a seriously diminished state (much worse than the freezing itself). I'm experiencing a variety of problems, including but not limited to:

- Unable to boot at all without the StartX command.

- My taskbar is now at the top of my screen and not at the bottom and can't seem to be moved. The menu button is also gone, and there is unwanted space at the bottom of the screen -- it can no longer be fully maximized.

- I can no longer lock my screen

- When I go into my file manager, all of the icons (folder icons, etc.) are gone -- there's just text below blank space.

Clearly there are a lot of abnormalities here. I will ask if there any path toward revolving them all at once (apparently there are still many updates available), but, honestly, my first choice at this point would be to just undo the whole thing and revert back to its status before the update attempt. Is there ANY way of doing so? For whatever it's worth, I remembered that I do have a bootable flash drive that I believe should work. Thank you.

No. Good question, but I tried to install Timeshift in the past, and apparently the file size was so large it also basically wrecked my system. But that one was easier in that all I had to do was uninstall Timeshift and everything was back to normal. Doesn't look like this one will be so easy.

Your install etc of Timeshift ion the past was not done as suggested....ie to select an external location to save the Timeshift snapshots to.
Therefore, the snapshots quickly filled your hard drive which is obviously not up to the task.....it does not have sufficient space available.

Not really Timeshifts fault there. Your system is in disarray because it has not been tended to for a considerable period of time....ie no Updates in 3 years.

From the description you gave of your distro's performance your best best is to perform a fresh installation.
Once your fresh install is updated I highly recommend launching Timeshift and taking a snapshot.

From the description you gave of your distro's performance your best best is to perform a fresh installation.
Once your fresh install is updated I highly recommend launching Timeshift and taking a snapshot.
Yeah, I mean it might come to that, but I would REALLY like to get this installation back on track if at all possible. For all the talk about the performance before the update and my system being in disarray from not being tended to, it actually worked pretty smoothly. No, not perfectly, which is why I started my original thread, but well enough. Obviously, I regret not just living with the freezes now. Which is why if I could just return to that state, I would gladly do so.

Yeah, I mean it might come to that, but I would REALLY like to get this installation back on track if at all possible

Allow me to repeat myself:
After 3 years without updates and various problems now, my vote is to reinstall before more crashes/problems cause further grief and waste more time/energy. I think you're putting off the inevitable.

Good luck.

I am locking this Thread, and I will link to it on my tomorrow, in your other Thread, which is in Linux Mint subforum and where this should be.

Jordan, if you start threads which are virtually duplicate, you do yourself a disservice in fragmenting your help, and confuse Helpers who are familiar with one Thread but not the other.

Also, in General, if you get no answers for a day, you will spool off into the back pages and may not get the attention.

Don't do it, please.

Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online