Flooding

70 Tango Charlie

Reaction score
Credits
@Condobloke @wizardfromoz
Guys, I hope you are not in the flood zone.
You have made the news up here in the USA tonight.
Looks like it will take a while for the water to subside.
They did show some sunshine though.
Cheers!
OG TC

I am not in that area/place. That is Port Macquarie...located on the coast of New South Wales (same state that Sydney is in)....I live approx 250 km west of PM....and my town is over 1000 metres above sea level....not much chance of a flood reaching here !!! We do get a bit of localised flooding from the many creeks here but that is not a big deal.

The poor buggers down in the low lying areas have really copped it though....and some are still getting rain even now, even when the majority of rain has stopped.

I think we had around 100 mm of rain in a day and a half.....up where Chris is (@wizardfromoz) they had much the same, and they are also quite high above sea level.....around the same as here.

I used to own property near port Macquarie....on the coast about 30 km from there but it was located high on a hill and was impervious to flooding.

Despite the warnings, there are some richard craniums who insist on driving through flood waters... there was a pic of a police car floating down a river the other night......not sure if he is still employed with the force or not !

Glad to hear you guys are safe.
TC
We live right by the Grand River which drains into Lake Michigan. Some live right on it and get flooded every year. I guess they love living near the water.

Thank you Charlie (and David) :)

Stills from a vid I took this morning in town, I call them Jerk 1 and Jerk 2

hAPCXK3.png

JERK 1

and

Qe0nZ4a.png

JERK 2

That vid was taken 3 and a half hours ago, and that T-intersection will be under water around now.

Just in front of Jerk 2 is a yellow warning sign "Water over road". He crossed. I watched Shire Council staff erect that sign, then they took the safe way around and 10 mintues later showed up on the other side and placed a similar sign.

I spent 10 minutes there. Water was up the top of their tyres' wheel arches, on the bridge.

Our safety campaigns here have an ad for this time of year "If it is flooded ... forget it".

While observing there, 15 vehicles crossed the bridge in either direction, all SUVs or 4x4's. Only one vehicle, a small sedan, on the opposite side of the creek to me watched for a few minutes, then turned around to take an alternate route.

Quartpot Creek runs through the middle of Stanthorpe, and 6 bridges cross it. 3 of those I checked this morning are closed/flooded, and two more will go next 24 hours.

Elaine and I are safe and will continue to be. The rains have stopped, but next 48 waters will continue to rise as they come down from the headwaters of Quartpot Creek.

We have 2 fullsize freezers always full of food, and one fullsize refrigerator same, and one fridge/freezer with beer in it, in the garage near my computer. What more could you want?

Chris

Sometimes I thought that I was living too boring life .. but .. the flood would be too much)) Take care of yourself and write how it ended.

Take care of yourself and write how it ended.

G'day @NimBeri and welcome to linux.org :)

Where I live, near Stanthorpe Queensland, no rain for a week now. The waters have subsided, the creeks are full but not overflowing their banks.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Chris

And in Glen Innes NSW, much the same as @wizardfromoz ....dams are chock a block (full) but any excess has run off