Font Rendering Error | SOLVED

wrench1815

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone im using Linux parrot 5.5.0-1parrot1-amd64 #1 SMP Parrot 5.5.17-1parrot1 (2020-04-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux
There was an update and i update my distro and after the update the fonts messed up completely most of the applications are showing me weird numbers within boxes and its completely un-readable. The preinstalled applications like File Manager Firefox works fine, even i have installed VS Code and its UI is also normal but when I try to open a file or folder in it the file/folder selection does not render fonts correctly.
Please i need some help.

Only i know how i managed to upload the screenshots here, as you can see in the attached files.
Screenshot_20200427_153817.png
Screenshot_20200427_153935.png
Screenshot_20200427_153951.png
Screenshot_20200427_154044.png

I have the exact same thing going on and I'm running Parrot Security 4.8 too.
Sadly, I don't know if installing the font is the answer so I joined the Parrot Community Forum and
I put a thread in at https://community.parrotsec.org/.

FF is working fine for me too.

When you put a thread in at the Parrot Forum it has to be approved by a moderator so it takes time.

Home Directory.jpg

I've been searching online and found out that if you don't have fonts than you end up with square blocks. I haven't found a fix yet but I'm going to try a google search something like:
"how to install fonts on Debian"
Somewhere on one of my drives I have the Debian Administrators Handbook.
I'll look in there and see if there are any fixes for this issue.

-::-I think what happened is something in the upgrade removed the fonts and that's why we have what we do now.-::-
If I find a fix or hear from the Parrot Community Forum I'll let you know.

Ah it's been bugging me for last 4 days i also create a support thread there and since no one knew i turned here also i just also recieved a notification on parrot forums that they have put this in bug list since a lots of user are having the problem

I've been searching online and found out that if you don't have fonts than you end up with square blocks. I haven't found a fix yet but I'm going to try a google search something like:
"how to install fonts on Debian"
Somewhere on one of my drives I have the Debian Administrators Handbook.
I'll look in there and see if there are any fixes for this issue.

-::-I think what happened is something in the upgrade removed the fonts and that's why we have what we do now.-::-
If I find a fix or hear from the Parrot Community Forum I'll let you know.

I tried updating font cache and even copied fonts from live cd but that didn't workes it is probably related to the gtk ui system (don't know much about linux but from what i saw with the applications it happens either they are trying to open some sort of dialog system like opening a file or with music players and graphics or multimedia applications also libre office which is completely gtk based it didn't show any problems except the dialog system it maybe something that try to handle the system processes) im not an expert mere a student but that's what i saw

Ah it's been bugging me for last 4 days i also create a support thread there and since no one knew i turned here also i just also recieved a notification on parrot forums that they have put this in bug list since a lots of user are having the problem
Thanks for letting me know.
So it's a bug. I hate bugs and I'm not the best at fixing them.
And you?

I tried updating font cache and even copied fonts from live cd but that didn't workes it is probably related to the gtk ui system (don't know much about linux but from what i saw with the applications it happens either they are trying to open some sort of dialog system like opening a file or with music players and graphics or multimedia applications also libre office which is completely gtk based it didn't show any problems except the dialog system it maybe something that try to handle the system processes) im not an expert mere a student but that's what i saw
I've given thought to installing the True Type fonts again.

I'll try installing the fonts later on this evening.
I figure it can't hurt because the system is already broken.

There is a gtk issue with scrolling not working on LMDE 4.
GTK 3.24.4-1 doesn't allow drop down windows to scroll but downgrading to gtk 3.24.3-1 works.

Thanks for letting me know.
So it's a bug. I hate bugs and I'm not the best at fixing them.
And you?
Well im a student learning programming all this awesomeness but i really can't fix these bugs since im quite far from it stuck on console based application and a little .net

I've given thought to installing the True Type fonts again.

I'll try installing the fonts later on this evening.
I figure it can't hurt because the system is already broken.

There is a gtk issue with scrolling not working on LMDE 4.
GTK 3.24.4-1 doesn't allow drop down windows to scroll but downgrading to gtk 3.24.3-1 works.
Oh i see we'll have to wait for parrot to fix the issue then

Oh i see we'll have to wait for parrot to fix the issue then
Yeah it's probably going to take a Debian developer to fix the problem but I'm going to try to fix it.
If I'm not able to fix it I'll have to install another distro. Maybe Arch Linux.

Good luck with programming.

In my best effort to fix Parrot Security I installed the True Type Fonts, /ttf-mscorefonts-installer_3.7_all.deb.

Upon rebooting it had no effect:-

I'm not a dev so I don't know how to fix the gtk issue or the font issue but I tried.

Also, I looked in the Debian Administrator's Handbook for a answer and didn't find anything.

yes there isnt any resource that lead to it and parrot just released a new update for parrot interface which i just downloaded but its still the same

yes there isnt any resource that lead to it and parrot just released a new update for parrot interface which i just downloaded but its still the same
Sorry to hear that the update didn't help.
It takes devs time to fix things so it might take a while.

I went ahead and installed Manjaro because I needed a distro that works for me.
Even with that I have an issue, however I'm getting help here with it.

Have you tried Kali Linux or Black Arch?

Black Arch comes with a lot of things and has a really nice DE and gui:-

Firefox is displaying fonts, but try and change them and they will stay the same. It does not look like the default Firefox font either and the garbled blocks are showing up in random applications too. I wish this wasn't an issue at all...

Firefox is displaying fonts, but try and change them and they will stay the same. It does not look like the default Firefox font either and the garbled blocks are showing up in random applications too. I wish this wasn't an issue at all...
Mind you I have also been running into errors for the past 3 hours just trying to setup Parrot OS. I have never had this much trouble getting a distro installed, but I don't want to scrap my progress and start again. I will wait this one out I guess.

Mind you I have also been running into errors for the past 3 hours just trying to setup Parrot OS. I have never had this much trouble getting a distro installed, but I don't want to scrap my progress and start again. I will wait this one out I guess.
I understand how frustrating it can be.

I use to chat with a guy in Debian Testing and he explained that running Testing and unstable can be very challenging to fix things.
I think it took him like 9 years to get really good at running Debian Sid:-

Hang in there it's inevitable, eventually the devs will fix it:-

Sorry to hear that the update didn't help.
It takes devs time to fix things so it might take a while.

I went ahead and installed Manjaro because I needed a distro that works for me.
Even with that I have an issue, however I'm getting help here with it.

Have you tried Kali Linux or Black Arch?

Black Arch comes with a lot of things and has a really nice DE and gui:-
Yes definitely and i appreciate all their hard work and that's why im still on parrot and i wull be on parrot for quite a long time since i at last found a linux distro that fullfills all my needs also i have used kali in past blackarch is what ill test when i get high speed internet running back up in my area apparently i heard arch being one of the difficult distro but i don't think it would be difficult to use since we all know about linux distro and i want to use arch based distro to see why they say so

Members online

Latest posts