For reasons, I was looking into Internet Explorer...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I was curious if it was already EOL or not, and I guess it's still supported. It looks like there's even an IE mode in Edge, but that IE is due to go EOL within the next year.

Man... For those of us who have done public-facing web stuff, 'member having to write your HTML and CSS so that it'd actually work in IE properly? For a CSS-heavy site, I actually had a separate CSS load if the user-agent was IE. It was needlessly complex.

Hmm... I don't know enough about MSFT to know why there's a discrepancy. One says sometime next year, the other says ages ago.

You want to know something assinie? I used to build trading platforms that were specifically for large volume traders. ( ie, banks and stuff) The primary user interface was web based and most of these banks (even in 2014 when I left there) were still using IE6.

Yes, you heard that right. In 2014, major banks were still standardized on IE6. Their users didn't even have access to Chrome, Firefox, Opera, or get this. Internet Explorer 7 (release 2006), IE8, (released 2009), IE9, (released 2011), IE10 (released 2012), or even IE11 (released 2013)

That was 2014! The banks you trust with your money were still standardized on IE6 lol. If you know anything about IE6, that release was a cluster &^*$. It was easily the slowest browser on the market, it had major flaws (including keep-alive that MS refused to fix in all IE browsers), it was not secure, and worse. It had to be a nightmare for their IT departments to support given many sites did not support it anymore!

We were literally forced to support it due to how many banks were still standardized on it and it took a major bank to be able to trade on our platform. (minimum of $2M cash reserves on deposit with the clearing house)

I've heard that there's also a shortage of Cobol programmers for banks , probably hearsay of hearsay but when you see the N.H.S u.k allegedly paid Microsoft updates for XP then i guess , i could believe it .

I've heard that there's also a shortage of Cobol programmers for banks , probably hearsay of hearsay but when you see the N.H.S u.k allegedly paid Microsoft updates for XP then i guess , i could believe it .
No, there are definitely a shortage of COBOL programmers. Actually, all the COBOL programmers I've ever worked with in the past (employed along side) have all past away.

I currently work with RPG programmers and they are all only a few years from retirement. We have three right now and they are VERY hard to come by.

If you're fluent in COBOL, you can demand most any salary you want.

There's another language like that, but I've forgotten the name. I think it starts with an M and it was a bit obscure even in its day - but hospitals have tons of old code in that language that needs to be maintained.

Wait, no... It's MUMPS. Learn MUMPS and write your own checks.

Members online

Latest posts