freeze while installation - xubuntu/ubuntu/knoppix

Thank you! Going to take a look at it tomorrow.

Just wanted to add:
I remember that the guided partitioning had a "EFI" partition before the 10gb root. Maybe that's the reason why I have the boot menu. Should I reinstall?

boot menu
? Do you mean the Display Manager? It is often normal for distros to add this by default and you should use it, unless you want to start without a Display Manager and begin with "startx" each time.

Display manager
The display manager has a few jobs on the system, but most of us know it as the program that creates the graphical login screen. If you want a really light system, of course, you can forego the display manager altogether and just run startx from the terminal prompt. For those who want a real login screen, there are a few lightweight options:

• XDM is simple, no-nonsense, feature-free, and ugly as sin. Still, if all you care about is logging in to a desktop, it does the job, and without a lot of outside depenencies or tedious setup. XDM is provided by the xdm package.
  • WDM, or the WINGs Display Manager, improves feature-wise on XDM with niceties like a session menu, actions menu, help. It still looks a bit like 1998 warmed over, but it’s light on resources. Thewdm package provides this.
  • LightDM is a modern, themeable display manager with all the goodies you expect from a modern login screen. While it was initially designed for use with Ubuntu’s Unity, it has no desktop-environment-specific dependencies and makes a good DM for any desktop. The lightdm package provides it, and you’ll also need to choose a greeter package; go with lightdm-gtk-greeter as a good default.
  • Slim is a no-nonsense display manager with no desktop dependencies. It’ very popular on a lot of lightweight distros, but was removed from some past Debian releases for unsolvable security issues.
  • NoDM is not really a display manager, but a set of configurations that obviate the need for a display manager and take you straight to the desktop. Use this if you don’t care about things like security or switching user accounts.
KDM and GDM are the display managers associated with KDE and Gnome, respectively; I don’t recommend them on a lightweight system simply because they have too many dependencies with their associated desktop environments (neither of which are appropriate for an old PC).

Finally, if you want something between a stark console login and a full-on X11 display manager, qingy is a framebuffer-based login that can fire up terminals or X sessions. Configuring it requires working framebuffer support and a bit of init-system plumbing, but it’s a nice way to add a bit of sprucing to an old system while keeping startup minimal.
http://www.alandmoore.com/blog/2013...-part-vi-building-your-own-lightweight-remix/

Last edited:
Questions:
-It boots from EFI:debian (I called it debian) and not from Harddisk. Why is that so? Did I do something wrong? Also it always turns on a GNU GRUB screen showing
"Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64"
"Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 (recovery mode)"
Can I turn that off?

-When I shut the PC down it doesn't turn the power off. It only stops. Can I change that?

I'm not sure if "Display Manager" is the thing I mean.
The first question here describes what I see (before the boot process).

- If you are using debian, you'll need to edit the sudoers file, using the visudo command. You'll have to use su (and provide the root password) to run this command. Then add yourself to the sudoers file.

- Not sure about the EFI:debian bit.

- The boot screen is a function of the bootloader, GRUB (GRand Unified Boot loader, I believe). It's a fundamental part of the system, and that menu is really helpful if something goes wrong when tinkering. I don't know if your install is based on GRUB or GRUB 2, but if it's a recent debian, it's probably GRUB 2.

If you are using GRUB, you'll need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to set the timeout to some short period, and have it not present the menu unless the escape key is hit before the timeout. I don't recommend doing that, at least not until you're confident in the system's plumbing, so to speak. If using GRUB 2, well, I can't help, as I've not messed with it. There are tutorials to be found, however.

Personally, I'd leave it for a while, and get comfortable with the system before tweaking...
Then you can start doing things.

Thank you for the tips!

Personally, I'd leave it for a while, and get comfortable with the system before tweaking...
Then you can start doing things.
wise words.
(I will try to get some of my graphic cards to work though and reinstall on a SSD. :rolleyes: )

But I think since my goal is reached this thread can be closed/marked as solved.

Thank you a lot for all the help and information!
See you in some more threads soon :D

Members online

No members online now.