• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

Fresh Arch install in i3-wm: Can't unmute audio

AKM123

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,
This morning I made a fresh Arch install. I am trying to unmute my audio, but the instructions and the commands I've found on the Arch Wiki for
Code:
alsamixer
and
Code:
$ amixer sset Master unmute
$ amixer sset Speaker unmute
$ amixer sset Headphone unmute
don't work; the output is
Bash:
bash: amixer: command not found
, and then when I try to use pacman to install either amixer or alsamixer, I get:
Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ sudo pacman -S amixer
error: target not found: amixer
[[email protected] ~]$ sudo pacman -S alsamixer
error: target not found: alsamixer

PS: As a side note, I'm seem unable to register on the Arch Forums' CAPTCHA, because I can't copy and paste text to or from my terminal, and so the answer to What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha384sum|sed 's/\W//g'"? is always incorrect for me; if someone could provide the answer to this so that I can cut and paste it, that would be great.

OP
A

AKM123

Reaction score
Credits
Okay then; I believe I do have pulseaudio, because I specifically selected it during the install. So assuming I don't have Also installed, how would I unmute my machine with pulseaudio?

OP
A

AKM123

Reaction score
Credits
Update: I went to the ArchWiki page on Pulseaudio, and went to the section on muting/unmuting. When I ran the command:
Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ pactl set-sink-mute 0 toggle
from the ArchWiki, no sound played on two random YouTube videos. Then I did this input and output:
Code:
[[email protected] ~]$ pactl list sinks short
0    alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo    module-alsa-card.c    s16le 2ch 44100Hz    SUSPENDED
I had to manually retype the terminal content because I can't seem to figure out how to cut and paste anything with the terminal, so I hope this is accurate.

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Read here:

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation