Fresh Arch install in i3-wm: Can't unmute audio

AKM123

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,
This morning I made a fresh Arch install. I am trying to unmute my audio, but the instructions and the commands I've found on the Arch Wiki for
Code:
alsamixer
and
Code:
$ amixer sset Master unmute
$ amixer sset Speaker unmute
$ amixer sset Headphone unmute
don't work; the output is
Bash:
bash: amixer: command not found
, and then when I try to use pacman to install either amixer or alsamixer, I get:
Code:
[user@archlinux ~]$ sudo pacman -S amixer
error: target not found: amixer
[user@archlinux ~]$ sudo pacman -S alsamixer
error: target not found: alsamixer

PS: As a side note, I'm seem unable to register on the Arch Forums' CAPTCHA, because I can't copy and paste text to or from my terminal, and so the answer to What is the output of "date -u +%V$(uname)|sha384sum|sed 's/\W//g'"? is always incorrect for me; if someone could provide the answer to this so that I can cut and paste it, that would be great.

It looks like Alsa isn't installed. You might have pipewire or pulseaudio? I'm not really fluent in Arch these days.

Okay then; I believe I do have pulseaudio, because I specifically selected it during the install. So assuming I don't have Also installed, how would I unmute my machine with pulseaudio?

Update: I went to the ArchWiki page on Pulseaudio, and went to the section on muting/unmuting. When I ran the command:
Code:
[austin@archlinux ~]$ pactl set-sink-mute 0 toggle
from the ArchWiki, no sound played on two random YouTube videos. Then I did this input and output:
Code:
[austin@archlinux ~]$ pactl list sinks short
0    alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo    module-alsa-card.c    s16le 2ch 44100Hz    SUSPENDED
I had to manually retype the terminal content because I can't seem to figure out how to cut and paste anything with the terminal, so I hope this is accurate.

Read here:

The command
PHP:
pactl set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ +100%
did the trick. Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts