From Linux To Windows on Desktop PC

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
I want to put Windows back on my Aunts Desktop PC. I downloaded the ISO. I tried using Etcher & WoeUSB & non of those worked. I even tried using Rufus through Wine & the Rufus program doesn't fully work. Anyone here got any ideas that could help me out here?

Open synaptic package manager or software manager / software center and see if a Live usb creator or image maker is available.

If all else fails then use xfburn and create a bootable dvd and install Windows 10 from a dvd.

I'm no longer using Ubuntu so I forget what is available in the Ubuntu 18.04 repository.

This may help.

Just follow the prompts and where it asks what iso to burn tick the Windows 10 iso.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody Else? I wasn't able to find what "Poorguy" mentioned. My PC doesn't have a DVD/CD drive.

Anybody Else? I wasn't able to find what "Poorguy" mentioned. My PC doesn't have a DVD/CD drive.
Did you look in the software center / software manager and look for a Live usb creator or image maker .

I looked in those spots and I didn't find either one of them.

Go into the software center / software manager and find the search bar and type in usb image writer or iso image writer and see what pops up.

I know there is one available because I've used it when I was still using Ubuntu 18.04 although I can't remember exactly what it was called.

Was it called multi writer?

Multi Writer doesn't seem to work for me. It keeps telling me Device or Resource is busy & it won't even work when I unmount my USB.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Eddie, you should remember to make a Windows Recovery USB on any computer before you erase Windows. You could make life much easier. :D

The Windows 10 .iso file is not very Linux-friendly. Who would have guessed? :mad:

The best way to make a bootable Windows USB is to use Windows, not Linux. Their Media Creation Tool will do the job without all the struggle.

The Windows 10 .iso is over 5 GB, so it will not burn to DVD, except dual-layer. And who has those? Or who has dual-layer disks? These never became very popular. So an 8 GB USB is the required minimum size. I have made several attemps this evening without luck. One issue I found is that your USB should be prepared as NTFS (with some burning software), but not many instructions tell you that.... the reason is that one of the files in the .iso (install.wim) is about 4.6 GB, and that is too large for a FAT32 file system. But even with NTFS, I could not make it boot. Even using Gparted, I set the USB to msdos (with boot flag set), then gpt (with boot and esp flags set)... still, it would not boot.

This is silly. Thank you Microsoft. Use Media Creation Tool and don't waste your time.

Cheers

Last edited:
I think I'm getting somewhere. I reformatted my USB but didn't mount then I gave Multi Writer another try & it seems to be working for now.

I think I'm getting somewhere. I reformatted my USB but didn't mount then I gave Multi Writer another try & it seems to be working for now.
Okay, I figured I'd give MultiWriter a try too. I like it... it's a nice little app. And it said it burned the Windows 10 .iso file successfully... but it will not boot. :(

I hope your luck is better than mine.

Cheers

Okay, I figured I'd give MultiWriter a try too. I like it... it's a nice little app. And it said it burned the Windows 10 .iso file successfully... but it will not boot. :(

I hope your luck is better than mine.

Cheers
I hope so too. If not, I'll just borrow my Sister's PC to get it done correctly. My Sister's PC is a Windows 10.

Members online